Thursday, December 8, 2011

APOCALYPSE, GOLDEN UNICORN FARM AND A WISHING WELL

Apocalypse

          Apocalypse is a painting that I did years ago when I was a young man - seems like every young person goes through that rebellious stage, when they're unhappy with the establishment and would like to change the world and make it a better place.  We all get a chance to be that way and somehow, after all these years that I've complained and heard other people complaining, not to mention those in other countries that don't have it any where as good as we do here living in Canada, a person would think that the world would be a better place instead of it being a cesspool filled to the brim with toxic waste, the air barely breathable and the water hardly drinkable.  Being an artist, I can honestly say that I love this Earth and all the natural things that abound throughout, even though some of the creatures living here would literally like to sink their teeth into me and strip the meat from my bones.  In some ways that's almost more desirable, since it would give sustenance to the beast, rather than everything being poisoned and I'm laying in a squalid ditch flicking like a dying fish waiting to take my last breath.  When I painted the Apocalypse, even though it didn't seem like it so much at the time, I had a premonition that the world and its civilizations were heading that that direction and now as I listen to the remarks people are making in the media and just ordinary Joe's on almost a daily basis, this painting may be closer to the truth than I would like to admit.  I've never put this painting up for sale, because who would want to hang it on their wall, I don't even hang it on mine; I keep it in a closet - it's downright scary!  I decided to put it on my blog to show people that if they don't want this ugly painting to become real, they should really make a strong effort to eliminate their heavy carbon footprints.  I try - I don't even drive but even saying that makes me somewhat of a hypocrite because I let others drive me around.  I also purchase things from other countries instead of trying to rely on an 100 mile radius, which actually makes a lot of sense because a lot of people who live within this area would become more productive and may not have to rely so heavily on making a living working for someone else.  But then who says being sensible is the logical way to go?

Door  Leading to my Studio in the Garage (Attached Barn can Also be Seen)
          
          Here on Golden Unicorn Farm, the snow began falling just before daybreak and within a few hours we had approximately 6" of winter wonderland covering our place.  It's not necessary to tell anyone how beautiful it is here, I think the photos speak for themselves.  The next photo is a shot of the house, which I can see from my studio window and when I look out my doorway at the other end of the studio, I often see Luki, our Great Pyrenees dog waiting for me to come out.  Although he's actually a very professional type guard dog (almost a hit-man in disguise) he is mostly very gentle with the animals, except for Freya the goat when feeding time arrives - nothing (except us) goes near his food bowl unless, they too want to become part of  his dinner.

View from Studio Window

Luki - Our Faithful Watchdog

          It's beautiful here on our little farm - it's nothing like my ugly painting Apocalypse and I'd really like to keep it that way.  Sure the weather may be harsh at times; we dress for it; put lots of clothes on in the winter and then take 'em off in the summer.  The black flies, mosquitoes and no-seeums are definitely hell on wings but they go away eventually.  Sure, there's big black bears hanging around here too but they're not too interested in us and they're most likely hibernating now or seriously considering it after this snowfall.  Moose, deer, porcupine, coyote, fox and other animals share our place and they're welcome as long as they leave our livestock alone - otherwise they have to deal with Luki and if not Luki, then me and I'm the meanest son-of-a-bitch that watches over this 50 acre place, well hardly mean but I have been known to deal with varmints with deadly force.  
          Enough about meanness, death and ugly paintings.  This is a photo of our well; an actual well, not a pretend wishing well.  However, today, I will make an exception for the well and dub it a wishing well because what I wish for me and mine and you and yours is a healthy world because without it we are not healthy either.  If we look after the Earth, the Earth will look after us - cheers, eh!

Our Wishing Well (for today only) We Depend on it for Our Drinking Water

No comments:

Post a Comment