Wednesday, May 15, 2013

AKELA - "the great gray Lone Wolf"



"Akela"
          Due to a lot of positive response to this painting of Akela, I decided to to have it reproduced as a Limited Edition as giclees, prints and cards.  While I was painting Akela, I was trying to think of an appropriate title and having been a "cub" (boy scout) for a short while as a young boy, remembered that it was the name used for the leader of our pack.  And, when I recently researched the name, I discovered that Akela is a character in Rudyard Kipling's, The Jungle Book.  When I checked out the wolf in the Jungle Book, I discovered the line, "Akela, the great gray Lone Wolf, who led all the Pack by strength and cunning, lay out at full length on his rock, and below him sat forty or more wolves of every size and color", which cinched the title of the painting.
          To help recoup the costs, the first 10 giclees' of  Akela are being offered for the low price of $40.00 each, plus shipping.  Also, the first 10 Acid Free Paper prints are available for $10.00 each, plus shipping.  This particular giclee, which has been professionally reproduced on canvas using the highest quality inks is 11"x14", the same size as the original acrylic painting.  Only 100 gicless on canvas and paper, plus 10 Artist Proofs will be printed, numbered and signed by the artist (me).  Included with this Limited Edition of Akela is a Certificate of Authenticity.  (The unicorn is a watermark to protect my copyright on the blog and of course is not printed on any of the giclees or prints.)


             I'm sure Akela will make an affordable addition for anyone who enjoys wolves and other wildlife.  The original Akela was sold before I had even finished painting it.  A German friend of mine who watched the painting's progress was so engrossed by the way the wolf's eyes were looking at him simply said, "There's something in his eyes; I would like to buy this painting."  I've actually sold a few paintings over the years, before the paint was even dry, which of course always made me feel good.  I'm open to commissions, so if anyone is interested in having an idea for a piece of art painted especially for them, don't be shy to contact me and I'm certain we can work out the details and an acceptable cost - cheers, eh!
         

No comments:

Post a Comment