Sunday, March 2, 2014

SELF-PUBLISHED A BOOK - THE CONFESSION AND 5 OTHER SHORT STORIES

          February flew away for another year and March is just marchin' along - time just doesn't sit still for a moment; won't be long before April is upon us.  Seems like the snow and coldness has let up a bit the past while, which is just fine for this old man's arthritic bones.  As much as I'd been looking forward to working on the bathroom renos the past week, I spent some time self-publishing a book of short stories - bloody hell but it costs a goodly amount to do such a thing, even when a person does all the work themselves.  Also, my wife Sarah self-published a book of poetry as well; can hardly wait to see the results and read it.  
          During my first winter living here and not being used to so much snow and freezing weather, I wrote 27 short stories, 5 of which are in this new book.  I had a lot of fun writing these stories; really let my imagination flow.  Besides the two illustrations in the book, I had fun doing the covers, trying to depict the meanings of the other individual stories  I was hoping to keep the price down to around 10 bucks but as it turned out with printing, shipping and taxes, looks like I have to sell it for 15 bucks.  But hey, what can a person buy for 20 bucks or less these days unless you're a devout Dollar Store shopper - 20 bucks worth of gas barely gets a car out of the driveway.

          If I can break a bit even selling this book, perhaps I'll consider putting another book of short stories together and I've got scads of poetry and also several children's stories that I wrote.  It would be great to find a publisher instead of having to do all the work myself, even though I don't mind doing all the mechanical stuff for putting a book together - editing is certainly time consuming.  Since I've got a couple of speaking engagements coming up this summer in regards to a sailing trip and a book (Arctic Odyssey) that I wrote about the voyage, I just may put another short story book together, just might be able to sell a few to a captured and hopefully captivated audience.
          It's getting close to supper time and I'm going to make sushi; the wife and I having an evening alone together - Jessica has gone for a sleepover for a couple of days with a two of her friends.  I do believe we're going to watch The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (foreign film with subtitles) since we really enjoyed reading the book  There are two sequels to this book and I'm very much looking forward to reading them as well.  Should be a great evening and tomorrow I believe we are going for supper at First Settler's Lodge in Maine - the food is sumptuously delicious.  Well, the rice should be cool now and since I've looked after the chickens for the day, I do believe I'll head into the house and make us some sushi; pour myself a cold beer too - cheers, eh!   

No comments:

Post a Comment