Sunday, May 18, 2014

ELEPHANT BALLS (AMARULA) AND OTHER CREATIVE JUICES

          It seems that some of the people who read this blog were somewhat curious what I meant when I wrote about "elephant balls".  Well, let me tell you, there's just nothing like a hot mug of coffee on a Sunday morning, especially when it's fortified with a double shot of Amarula Cream.  I was first introduced to this delicious tasting liquor at my brother's 60th birthday party, which lasted for 3 days, about 4 years ago.  A mutual friend of ours (Mark) invited me into his motor home for a good-morning-coffee, which he called "elephant balls".   He apparently likes this drink so much, he buys it by the case, so lucky for me, I spent quite a lot of time visiting Mark; there just wasn't enough coffee-breaks in the day.  From what I understand, elephants have been known to get drunk munching on the marula fruit, once it becomes fermented.  I have an idea how much I would have to consume in order to become somewhat tipsy -, but an elephant - I suspect a 45 gal. drum filled with Amarula Cream might suffice and then again, maybe not.  Hard to imagine a drunken elephant staggering around the African plains and leaning against trees would not be a good idea either; more than likely knock them down.  Can you imagine the hangover an elephant would have the next morning; talk about a mind boggling headache - makes my head throb just thinking about it.  Unfortunately, this Sunday morning (today) when I went to the liquor cupboard to accent my coffee, I discovered the bottle was empty - maybe like my friend Mark, I should consider buying it by the case - I wonder if it costs a little less then?
           Sarah opened up our little coffee shop in Fosterville this long rainy weekend, which was odd because we kept hearing on the radio, how sunny it was but it must have been somewhere else in New Brunswick.  Quite a few people came in over the past two days but I expect the weather was somewhat of a detriment because not as many showed up as they did this time last year.  However, the Community Centre held a bacon and eggs breakfast by donation yesterday, so I'm sure that would be another reason for the lack of customers.  But that's the way it goes here, one never really knows how many people will grace our doorstep on any given day; some days there's hardly a soul and others, there's sometimes a line.  
          I had a couple of black flies buzzing around my face a couple evenings ago; must be scouts reconnoitering for the impending hoard that will soon be attacking in full force.  Time to don the mosquito netting and arm myself with a fly-swatter or wear a turbocharged fan on my head to blow the pesty insects away.  Oh well, not too much I can do about them and at least it's basically warm again; there isn't any snow to shovel. 
          Tomorrow is a holiday but to me, it just seems like any other day.  Although I don't have a regular job, it doesn't mean I don't have jobs to do.  However, that being said, if it's still pouring rain, instead of doing some of the outside chores, I do believe I'll do some spring cleaning in my studio, like put a lot of stuff away and washing the floor, including the stairway - tramped in a lot of chicken shit and mud over the course of the winter.  I'm so pleased that I'm able to let the chickens out now; their coop stays so much cleaner and drier too, so I don't have to clean it quite as often as during the winter and, they are laying a lot more eggs.  
          Lately, I've had a real itch; an itching to get a little creative once again.  It's been almost a year since my painting juices were flowing with ideas and it will be good to pick up a brush once again.  Although, that being said, my wife Sarah and daughter Jessica have just put dibs on my last two blank canvases; seems the creative mood is catchy; but that's a good thing isn't it?  However, I have a large painting that I started several years back that I should finish.  I've put a helluva lot of time into it and I'd hate to die before it's done and have someone else attempt to complete it - I have a hard time rolling over now and I expect it's even harder when I'm lying 6' under, if I didn't like the way they finished painting it.  Guess it's time to attempt to sidestep the raindrops and head into the house - I can't enjoy my "elephant balls" but I do believe a Caesar is in order - cheers, eh!           

No comments:

Post a Comment