Thursday, June 9, 2011

I'M AN ORDINARY JOE - ARE YOU?

          I have no idea how many books I read a year; mostly at bedtime; many of which are purely entertaining and have the same affect as taking a sleeping pill.  However, every now and then I read a book that just grabs me and I have a hard time putting it down; a real page-turner.  A book that wakes me up, makes me think and gets me curious enough to wonder how I can be of help; a book perhaps each and everyone of us should read is Rescue the Earth: Conversations with the Green Crusaders, by Farley Mowatt.  In these troublesome days, when the Earth and its atmosphere are saturated with deadly poisons and pollutants, the polar ice melting at a disturbing rate and the seas rising rapidly, which must be a considerable concern for many people, since most of the major cities of the world are situated along the continental coasts and are not very high above sea level; it is definitely a book worth reading and if at all possible, each and everyone us should try to leave only a very feint footprint or no footprint at all by the time they reach their final demise.
          I've tried to a certain degree to be as kind as I can to the Earth and its inhabitants living within my realm.  I know that I've failed miserably in this undertaking but maybe if I start rethinking my situation and requirements, I can live a lot more modestly and become less of a consumer, perhaps even begin producing much of my own sustenance - rather than always taking, actually putting something back in return.
          I'm like all the other ordinary joes that exist on this planet and I've often sluffed off the idea of what I can do, what can one person do to help preserve our Earth; how does one person stop the huge mechanic technology ball from rolling, especially since it's moving at such a rapid speed and appears to be utterly out of control?  By what I understood from reading Farley Mowatt's book, the people involved and who are in charge of this great ball of destruction are not that many in comparison to me and the rest of the ordinary joes that ignorantly plod around thinking they don't have the power to change their circumstances.  The black souls of destruction are truly a minority, should each and everyone of us ordinary joes unite with the angels that guard our domain; each of us stop associating with their greedy beliefs.  If we stop purchasing their useless baubles and beads, feeding off what they have ordered that we as consumers need for our existence, no longer look up to their self-centred ideals; we can bankrupt them and defeat their dastardly plans of destroying our home; think aboaut it; the only place in all of the Universe that we've found to be habitable by people and other similar animates exists only here.  If we ordinary joes believe that science and technology will save us from our feeding frenzy upon this Earth, then we as the human race and every other creature living on this planet are doomed - our kids and their kids will all die because we will not have left them anywhere to survive - no shelter, no food, no water and no air to breath.
          Most of what I read and understood in Farley Mowatt's book to be the beliefs of the professional mercenaries, "the green crusaders" like David Suzuki, trying to save our Earth, mankind and all the other creatures existing here seemed to believe the odds are thus far not in their favour.  However, like every mortal being on this planet; where there is still life, I too believe there is hope for our salvation but only if everyone of us ordinary joes are accountable for our actions and band together in an army of brotherhood and make a final stand.  For example: if all the ordinary joes of this world said no more oil drilling in the arctic, no more killing and torturing animals, no more clear cutting the forests, no more chemically modified food, no more overfishing and culling - let nature take its course - we would have a voice loud enough to shake the very heavens and whatever God we believe in would be proud.
          I'm just a mere voice, one of the ordinary joes even though I'm old and my time here on Earth is not much longer,  who happens to care about the continuation of the Earth and all its inhabitants.  I have a voice and I'm using it now even though I realize this Blog has few readers.  But then again, if what I've written touches even one of you and the message is passed on, other people perhaps reading Farley Mowatt's book, Rescue the Earth or even passing on my simple message of being an ordinary joe and being accountable for what you do, then who knows; the thing about a big rolling ball, it's often a small particle that can send it off in a different direction; maybe the direction of regaining our planet from those that are exploiting it for their own greed and egotistical power.  

No comments:

Post a Comment