Tuesday, June 7, 2011

LIFE IS GETTING SHORTER

          Spring has finally arrived; wildflowers are prevalent wherever I look; the humming of insects, twittering of birds and croaking of frogs are constantly heard; unlike traffic, their sounds are not annoying, that is, except for the eeeeeeee of the occasional mosquito as it takes aim at my ear lobe.  Life in the country is definitely different than dwelling in the city; the pace is much slower and since I'm not a young buck anymore, it suits me just fine.
          I used to be a workaholic at one time - hard to believe - I used to work 12-16 hours a day, 7 days a week and what's truly amazing about my work habits back then - I actually enjoyed it.  My ideals were different in those days; like many people, I was searching for the big dream; a million dollars was my goal.  It's hard to believe that I actually attained that goal or very close to it; never did get the accountant's final tally; money in the bank and properties.  However, the value of money never really being a top priority, it's no wonder I lost it all during the recession in the early 80's.  There have been times when I regretted losing everything and I mean everything; wife and kids and a lifestyle had vanished too.  Don't get me wrong though, I wasn't down and out, living out of a dumpster by the time the bankers, lawyers and whoever else had grabbed a hold of whatever assets I'd attained.  I still had my motorcycle and more importantly my talent.  Did one last big job for a nice piece of change; bought myself a sailboat without my creditors getting their hands on it and basically sailed away; at least in my mind I did.  In a sense, moving from the beautiful west coast to the equally beautiful east coast in many ways was much like sailing away from all my financial troubles - I mean, we wouldn't have moved to Fosterville if we could have managed financially to survive in Nanaimo - the one thing about being at the top of the cliff and then jumping off - you know you're going to hit the bottom eventually.
          Life is good here at Golden Unicorn Farm near the base of Green Mountain.   I imagine I'm a little old to be starting all over again; younger wife and kids but it's my life.  Many people my age most likely think I'm nuts and they could be right.  Retirement is never going to happen; holidaying in Mexico, laying on a tropical beach.while sipping pina coladas is out of the question for this old guy but then again, I never thought that sort of thing was very appealing.  Looking back, the unfortunate part of my life was going after the same dreams as the majority of my generation, which seems to be the basis of the following generation; the "me" generation to generation bullshit - what's that all about?  Our planet, which is basically the only home we truly have has taken one hell of a wallop; it's reeling in the heavens, staggering from the blow.  We may have delivered a punch below the belt to the Earth but when the fight is over; the final bell has rung; mankind will be the loser; in that I have no doubt.  The writing is on the wall, the signs are blatantly explicit; I don't need a wake-up call to tell me the end is nearing, the time when food and water will soon be the most sought after commodity is almost upon us.  Tsunamis, earthquakes, droughts and other natural disasters are not worrisome, the Earth has always been this way - filth, poisons, pollution are not natural, they're our doing.  I wonder if it's because, since we each and every last one of us knows that we're going to die, we just don't give a shit what happens after our time here has ended as long as we made ourselves most comfortable during our lifetime; is that what's brought the Earth to its knees?
          I see the sun has snuck out of the clouds; how I love this Earth; our planet.  Although I'm a bit of an artist, a bit of a writer and fairly creative, I just have to look outside my window and see what true creation is really about.  I am amazed, actually in awe sometimes just by observing a single blade of green grass; never mind the creatures that inhabit its territory.
          I could keep on ranting about the state of our planet and the foolishness that abides here, however, although I'm still not feeling too well today, fighting some sort of virus that has me hacking and sniffling away, I believe it's time for me to get off my ass and get some work done around here - I mean winter isn't that far off, even though it feels as if it has just left.              

No comments:

Post a Comment