Thursday, July 28, 2011

HOME, HOME ON THE FARM, WHERE THE GOATS AND THE CHICKENS PLAY...

          It's a golden morning here at Golden Unicorn Farm at the base of Green Mountain.  However, from the scuttlebutt that's been buzzing about Fosterville the last few days; the mountain may not be so green much longer.  The property next to ours is about to be logged and will most likely be clear cut, which seems to be the norm these days.  When I was asked about logging our property I said, "The trees will remain standing as long as I'm still standing."  I've got bills like most anyone else but cutting down the trees for a buck is not in my interest and I can think of many other ways to earn some money to pay the bills.  I expect our view of the ridge will change drastically very shortly and I'm somewhat saddened, not just for me and the family but for all the creatures of the forest, which call that part of the country home.

 Almost Completed Barn with Gate

          Like the soon to be changing landscape, things around Golden Unicorn Farm have changed somewhat too.  The barn finally reached the stage where it is habitable and a safe abode for predators.  Our 39 chickens, 2 goats Jack and Freya now have a home as well as Lukie, our Great Pyrenees guard dog.  I still have to attach the door, put a steel cap on the roof, add a few more smaller screws along the edges and then nail the battens to the outside walls - of course nesting boxes, perches, hay feeder and goat milking station in the inside are needed as well - oh well, like they say, "A farmer's work is never done." 
         

Sarah Singing, "The Barnyard's Alive With the Sound of Music."
          
          My Sarah, bless her big heart, has decided to become an opera star - such a diva.  I took this photo of her as she sang in her best Julie Andrew's voice, "The barnyard's alive with the sound of music."  The goats bleating harmonized to her every note as well as the dog's howling - oh my bleeding ears!  Even the chickens inside the barn backed up the musical quartet with well-placed peeping (thank goodness they are not at the clucking and crowing stage yet).

Chickens Peeping in the Spotlight
 
Perhaps Sarah can create a barnyard musical that farmers the world over will play in their barns and throughout their fields - they say animals and plants enjoy music and hens lay better too.

 Hand-Lettered Banner for a Wedding
       
          The chickens and the goats are not at the stage where we can earn a little cash from eggs and dairy products, so to help pay bills, I hand-lettered an 8' banner inside my studio yesterday, which pretty much takes up almost one entire wall and I don't know if its Sarah's singing still reverberating around the barnyard or the paint fumes but I feel as if I'm almost hallucinating.  Since for some odd reason or another the paint refused to dry - I've got an electric heater belting out a lot of heat and a fan blowing (perhaps that's why I'm feeling a little fuzzy) - the sign is for a wedding that's happening this afternoon and hopefully it will be dry enough to roll up - sure hate to return the customer's money.
          Well, since a farmer's work is never done, I guess I best quit dabbling with this blog and get on with the necessary chores of the day.  What's that I hear above the roar of the heater's fan - can it be a lilting tune from a fair maiden or a forest nymph - ah no, it's Sarah's melodic voice enticing me into the house (wink, wink) - hahaha - got you for a moment - coffee is ready!
       

No comments:

Post a Comment