Saturday, June 30, 2012

MOSQUITOES, THE LONE WOLF AND BUDDY

          The sun is finally shining and hopefully we won't be bombarded with another downpour, which happened yesterday, complete with loud bursts of thunder and flashes of lightning right above our house; I believe the racket and light show that occurred aroused our ghost, who could be heard dancing spiritedly away in the attic.  The warmth and the sunlight feels good, even though the damp humidity makes one feel as though they've taken up residence in a greenhouse.  I noticed the mosquitoes as large as hummingbirds, which are gathered around the muddy puddles, ponds and lakes dressed in their finest bathing attire and wearing sunglasses are still overly friendly - as soon as I come near them, thinking I must be a tender, juicy steak to be washed back with a glass of red blood, they flock to me like squadrons of kamikaze zeros, hell-bent on destruction.  My arms have been flapping so hard at times trying to swat them out of the air, I'm sure, with just a little more effort, I probably could have flew away to a place that mosquitoes don't exist.
Lone Wolf  - Unfinished 11"x14" Painting           
          Our 3/4 ton diesel truck "Buddy" decided to break down yesterday after we left the Woodstock Farmer's Market; because of the clicking sounds emitting from the engine, whenever the ignition key was turned on, even though I know almost absolutely nothing about engines, my money (quite literally) is on the starter having a huge hissy-fit while complaining, "Enough is enough!  I aint gonna start no more!"  
           Just getting Buddy towed to a mechanic in Canterbury was $125.00, so I can't imagine how much the repair bill will be; almost every time beforehand when the truck broke down, we were looking at a grand - a thousand little shiny loonies pirouetting out of our pockets and into someone else's piggy bank  Unfortunately, since I was unable to pick up some more building materials for my baby-barn project, I may not get much further on it this coming week.  However, if that's the case, perhaps I can finish the "Lone Wolf" painting and perhaps a few more - would be great to have some new paintings for our Arts Festival, which will be happening here on August 19th.  (Incidentally, we're still looking for a few more artisans to sign up and reserve their spaces - should be just as good a time as last year.)
          One thing about the hordes of mosquitoes and Buddy breaking down, the time should be well-spent indoors; a time for healing some of my aches and pains.  Haven't been sleeping that good either, so the rest should be good as well for this old guy, who sometimes still thinks he's got the energy of a young man and often over does it - drives meself beyond me limits.  Like the mosquitoes basking around all the mud puddles, ponds and lakes located near the base of Green Mountain, me thinks I'll break out me paints and brushes, pop the lid off a cold one, kick me legs out and enjoy its golden amber flavour as I paint away - cheers, eh! 

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your truck Len...never fun. Do ya's know the damage yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We haven't heard back for certain what the problem is - Terry in Canterbury thinks it might be the starter switch and if that's the case, the cost shouldn't be too high. Also, he's going to check it out because inspection time is just around the corner. Thanks for your concern Lyndon - cheers, eh!

    ReplyDelete