Monday, July 2, 2012

TO HAVE OR NOT TO HAVE - LESS IS MUCH BETTER

          Not too many years have rushed by since the life expectancy of a man living in Canada was approximately 72-74 years of age and now it's almost 80.  Living until age 80 sounds pretty good unless of course you're like me, pushing age 71 or higher - not even 10 years remaining before the weeds and the worms are having a feast at my benefit.  Needless to say, I get a little bit nervous every time I walk by a shovel; although death is eminent; a certainty; I'm one of these old coots that will most likely go to their graves kicking and screaming. "I don't want to die!".  Like many people my age or older, we've witnessed some spectacular events over the years, some of them good and some of them bad; down right nasty actually; a lot of things the younger generations now take for granted or don't concern themselves with our mistakes.  Although the US and our country have a bountiful assortment of millionaires and multi-millionaires, very few of them began with nothing, never actually had to earn that kind of moolah - most of really wealthy people that have an over abundance of the almighty dollar have had it passed down to them through the generations; from one sugar daddy to the next.  Besides, a million smackeroos isn't really that much money nowadays - how could it be when game shows give it away for prizes; average and many below average talented celebrities are paid this kind of money.  (I get a kick out of listening to some radio host talking to a so called great musician or singer that the music charts show they've sold a million albums - geesh, not even 10% of the population listens to them enough to care to purchase their endeavours.)   So the way I see it; life is just one big crap shoot - right from the moment we pop out of our mommy's bellies screaming and demanding that our needs be fed - too bad most of us never shut the fuck up - we need way more for our existence and because of it, our world and every living thing that abides here suffers because of this excessive greedy nature.  Slogans like "You deserve the very best" - what a crock of BS - none of us deserve to be outrageously spoiled.  Sorry John; as much as I enjoy a John Travolta movie; can you imagine how much fuel he has used for his own personal needs, how much air and water he has polluted by flying around in his 747 - talk about an obscene amount of energy that is totally wasted because of one man's needs and there is countless more just like him.
          It's easy for me to pick on wealthy individuals but hey - although I'm just a small fish in a sea of greedy humans, I can't excuse myself from being a part of that group - I'm quite sure my carbon foot print is the size of a Sasquatch's, that is if such a great big hairy creature actually exists.  When I look around at all the stuff I own and I can hardly believe I keep accumulating more, especially at this age when my life expectancy is seriously getting shorter by the second - I mean what the hell am I going to do with it - it's not like I can take this shit with me and I'm sure my kids, except for some very personal items, won't want any of it - they'd have to expand their living area just to store this crap.  That was one of the things I liked about living on a sail boat - there just wasn't any room for anything except the basic needs for survival - kind of kept my priorities on an even keel so to speak
          Even here, living at the base of Green Mountain on 50 acres of semi-wilderness land - we, a family of four, still want more than what we actually need for our existence.  It's so easy to get caught up in a net, our little hands and feet poking through tiny holes clutching things that are actually holding us back from escaping and leading a more fulfilling life.  The only reason, perhaps the biggest reason the world is in such a precarious state is because we are obsessively manipulating, controlling and obscenely greedy human beings.  We have deliberately turned our backs on nature, actually falsely believing that we can bend the world to our objectives; our will; when just the opposite is true.  Beside the junk we buy, look at the crap we purchase to nourish our bodies and minds - it's no frickin' wonder the majority of us are total dip-shits, more than half stupid and ignorant, could give a flying leap into a cess pool of man-made toxic waste , actually care about the state of the world - we're so uncaring about ourselves - how could we possibly care for our surroundings.  I could go on and on but it's time I got off this addictive computer and actually do something progressive, like pull out a chair, sit in the barnyard and watch the chickens do their thing - absolutely no wastage - I just might learn something from those wee feathered raptors that have evolved and fared better than us humans over the aeons, and besides, my time here on Earth has almost come to an end - cheers, eh!                

No comments:

Post a Comment