Tuesday, January 1, 2013

HAPPY NEW YEARS - 2013

          I don't know how many New Year's eves I've chimed in, and while doing so, I have no idea the copious amounts of alcohol I've toasted, the sweet lips of many women I've kissed, the pots I've dented or the cherished family gatherings I've attended on that day of resolution.  And as far as resolutions go, I can't remember making any New Year's Day resolutions or if I did, it must have been during an alcoholic haze because broken promises has been, for me at times, a long twisted trail of regrets.  I've witnessed 71 New Year's and I don't know if this is good or not, because not one of those eves when the bells and whistles sounded, the fireworks roared and flashed, when I was gathered around the TV yelling out the countdowns and singing Auld Lang Syne stands out as being very memorable - even the ones I spent alone.
          I know last night's New Year's eve was pretty mellow and tame compared to a lot of the other ones I've attended.  Sarah, her 11 year old daughter Jessica, her friend Jamie and me were the only ones in attendance but it was still fun to lift our wine glasses, filled to the brim with ginger ale, up high and yell out in unison the New Year's eve countdown, "10, 9, 8, 7..." as we were gathered around the TV set.  And unfortunately, since Sarah loves to sing most any song, the small band that was singing their own rendition of Auld Lang Syne, she was unable to accompany them very well, although she did make a valiant stab at it.  And since, I've been fighting off a cold or some other nagging malady these days and my left eye wouldn't stop tearing up because it felt dry and sore, I wasn't too much in the partying mood.  My daughter Paula phoned and chatted with me up to a couple of minutes before the countdown and since we didn't get to talk to one another over Christmas, it was really great to hear from her.  And as funny as it may seem, the age thing being that my oldest daughter Iona is a few years older than my wife, she must have phoned about 4 times during the night to wish us a Happy New Year, so I had some difficulty trying to get to sleep - seemed as soon as I began to nod off, the phone rang and went directly to 'messages'.
          Bringing in the New Year over the years, and 2013 is no exception, has always been a good time for me (at least I can't remember any bad or sad ones) because most of the people I have been with were either family or friends or a combination of both.  Besides the joviality, cheering, toasting and revelry there has always been a sense or ambiance of well-wishing and love in the air.  Like last night for instance, although I was somewhat bleary-eyed, hardly in a party mood, I couldn't stop smiling as my wife danced and sang rather comically around the kitchen.  My Sarah is good for my soul; she lifts my spirits when their deflated, puts gladness and a smile on my face, even when I don't feel so happy.  She asked me last night, "Will you be here for 2014?"
          And I answered, feeling my age a little more than usual these winter days, "I don't know."      
          Sarah replied somewhat admonishingly, "Wrong answer.  You're supposed to say, of course."
          I'm hoping to survive that long, bring in next New Year and longer but there's one thing for sure and you don't need any writing on the wall to tell you; my years are limited.  So many people, very good friends and family loved ones. I've hugged and kissed on New Year's eve are no longer here.  Don't get me wrong, they're passing on doesn't fill me with sadness; it's just a fact of life.  But hey, my heart is still pounding, the blood is still coursing through my veins, I haven't lost my mind yet and I'm still able, despite the aches and pains to accomplish some of the goals that I set before me.  Life is good; death I don't know about.  However, while I'm still alive, I plan on living my life to it's fullest or at least within my reach.  I don't kid myself; I'm never going to climb a high mountain, skydive, surf or go see the world but that doesn't mean that I still can't enjoy going for a long walk, enjoy the excitement of watching a skydiver or surfer and I'm content with my part of the world; I just have to do things within my limit or push myself to go a little further; it's that extra mile that always seems the best and on saying that, to all the people, some who are friends but mostly strangers that read my ramblings, I'd like to wish you a Happy New Year, a Healthy 2013 and hopefully Many, Many More - cheers, eh!
         

2 comments:

  1. We have at LEAST 13 more New Years Eve's together my handsome! :) We need to hit the 20 year mark together. <3 love you <3 you make me smile, you make me laugh, you make me mad, haha , you make me cry, but YOU MAKE ME , ME! <3 love always my handsome, signed, your beautiful lady ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 20 years together - now that would be a record for me as far as relationships go. I suppose it could happen and you know how stubborn I can be - loves my Sarah - cheers, eh!

    ReplyDelete