Sunday, December 30, 2012

SNOWING AND HIKING THE CAMINO DE SANTIAGO

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow...
          The Farmer's Almanac says it's not supposed to snow in January, so what I'm wondering about, with only one more day left in December, and the way it's been snowing the past little while; is December trying to make up for January's lack of snow?  The snow wouldn't be so bad if the wind would stop blowing; the depth is slightly over my knees but the snow drifts can be up to my arm pits in places.  I must have cleared out the pathways three times so far today and the snowplow that goes by our house a few times during the day sure leaves a deep, compressed snow barrier in front of our driveway.  Since it was Sunday, I'd been considering taking the day off, just sort of lazing around but that's not the way it went.  Not only did I clear the snow, I mucked out the barn and the chicken coop.  The barn wasn't too bad but the chicken coop turned out to be a real chore.  I thought our coop would have been big enough for 100 chickens but after mucking it out today, I'm beginning to think it could be twice the size.  While the weather was good and the chickens were going outside every day, the coop stayed relatively clean.  However, now that the snow has arrived and I keep them inside, you would not believe how much poop 100 chickens can drop.
          The snow stopped falling a little while ago but it's still windy.  However, now that the chores are done and it's beginning to get dark, as I sit here at the keyboard, I'm beginning to feel all the aches surfacing, especially in my hands and back.  May have to knock back another cold beer or two to numb the pain when I finally get into the house.  I don't know why, but there are some shivers doing a little tap dance up and down my backbone.  The studio is nice and warm, so I must have got chilled a little more than I thought.
          Hard to believe that tomorrow is New Year's Eve; the past year seemed to go by so quickly.  I mean here I am, 71 years old and moving slower than I've ever moved, and yet, the year just went zipping on by.  Perhaps next year, I should take a little more time to stop and smell the roses and stop being so busy.  But then at this age, as soon as I start a project, more than rushing the jobs, I just want to get them completed just in case I don't last long enough to get them finished.  Now that I'm in the elderly part of my life, the sunset getting shorter, it's not like before when I was younger; it was easier to put things off.  Now, I don't dare put things off too long.  I can remember thinking when I was in my 50's that a lot of time was still remaining to paint and write and I did do a little of that but no where's near as much as I thought I'd accomplish.  
          I watched the Bucket List starring Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman a while back and perhaps that's what I should start compiling, some of the things I'd like to do before I kick the bucket.  Sarah and I just watched a movie, The Way starring Martin Sheen as an aging father.  His son had decided to walk the Camino de Santiago, which is located mainly in Spain.  When he died early into his pilgrimage, his father continued his son's dream.  Sarah says she would like to do the trek and although it isn't a difficult hike, the length is approx. 500 miles.  She figures we should do it when she turns 50 and I turn 75; a sort of celebration of our life together.  Hmm, as much as I enjoy hiking, or at least I used to; hiked the West Coast Trail on Vancouver Island twice, maybe being 75 is really pushing it; something to think about that's for sure.  However, most people who walk the Camino de Santiago have a reason for doing so, mostly religious, spiritual or hoping to make a change in their life.  For me, it could quite possibly be the last hike I ever do - I wonder how much it would cost to get cremated or buried in Spain?  Cheers, eh!

No comments:

Post a Comment