Sunday, April 21, 2013

MY FRIEND FREYA


Freya and Me - Photos taken just before she went to a new home.

          Freya was definitely a goat with her own mind.  I didn't call her Freya as much as I referred to her as Bonehead because she was bound and determined to have her own way, regardless of the consequences.  And of course, another old goat like me with a persnickety attitude, well, we just had to butt heads occasionally.  Despite the problems I had with Freya, like jumping the fence, butting the dog, eating everything in sight and disrupting the chicken coop, I have to admit her presence is missed.  We had our playful times as you can see in the photo, where she would jump up on her hind legs and I would grab hold of her front hooves and, like a dog, she would often follow me as I wandered around the pasture.  Luki, our Great Pyrenees dog may or may not miss her since they were constant companions but something tells me, his feelings are similar to mine - we miss her but when we remember her bullying attitude and greedy appetite, we hope she has a happy time in her new home.
          Now that Freya has moved to a little farm in Kirkland, Sarah and I are considering getting another animal; perhaps a temporary beef cow or a full-time alpaca come to mind - something that is compatible with Luki and will still let him think he is in control as a guard dog.  I understand alpacas make good guard animals as well and keep away critters such as coyotes.  Now whether they have a good nature or not, I'm not so sure, anything that spits in your face when it's PO'ed, may not be an ideal companion or have a great disposition.  I also don't know what sort of care they need or even what they like to eat on a steady basis.  A beef cow may be the answer as long as we name it Hamburger or T-bone and don't make a pet out of it, which is pretty much what Freya became.  We've discussed sheep, pigs, horses and even donkeys but I'm thinking, perhaps a cow or two is the answer.
          As I write this blog, Finnegan the cat is curled up asleep on my lap and for someone who doesn't really like cats that much, it seems sort of odd.  However, Finnegan is not really a lap-cat, he's hell-on-four-legs when it comes to squirrels, mice and other pesky small rodents - I'd have to say he pays for his way, much like the dog and chickens.  When I go for walks and some of them are quite long, he follows along just like a dog.  I don't know why but animals seem to like me and it's not because I'm the gentle and kind sort all the time; I've been know to give them a well-aimed swat or a kick in the ass to grab their attention.  Of course, the animals have their moments too; it's not like I haven't been bit, kicked or scratched up at times - fair is fair is the way I see it.  I'm not a tree-hugger or a pet-panderer but I like to see that no unnecessary harm comes to any of them.
          The snow has pretty much melted away and as I looked around the muddy pasture this morning, I could still see Freya's hoof prints and I have yet to clean out her stall or take her feed bucket away.  I'm not sad that she's gone to another farm but at this age, the tail-end of my life, every good-bye plucks at the old heart-strings; seems like there are more good-byes than hellos these days.  The sun is shining brightly and although the breeze is somewhat cold, the crocuses that have popped up their colourful heads by the well are a welcome harbinger of spring - cheers, eh! 
            

No comments:

Post a Comment