Tuesday, August 20, 2013

I HAD A BLAST AT THE GOLDEN UNICORN ARTS FESTIVAL


Portion of a Newspaper Ad
          Sarah and I are finally getting a wee break after working towards and hosting our Golden Unicorn Arts Festival; I noticed she had her feet up more than once yesterday during the day while Justin Higgs and I struggled to put a wire-mesh kennel together for perhaps the least bravest guard dog I've ever known.  (Poor old Luki; our 150 lb. Great Pyrenees is afraid of thunder, gunshots and fireworks, perhaps even his own shadow.  He has a heart of gold and a very friendly demeanor but make any kind of a loud banging noise and he's screaming like a little girl and running for cover.)    
          Overall, I'd have to say by the amount of talented artisans who displayed and sold their wares and the talented musicians and singers who entertained the crowd and the amount of people who attended our event; the arts festival was highly successful.  I may have been a little concerned in the morning, while everyone was setting up, since we have free-range chickens, when a woman said, "There's chickenshit here" but being the jovial person that I am, I simply handed her a rake.  Which reminds me, the day before the event, some kids arrived at Sarah's little coffee shop for ice cream cones and immediately began chasing the chickens all over the place and even after Sarah and I told them not to, continued doing so.  Realizing that during the day of our festival, I didn't want 100 chickens loose and causing a lot of havoc, flitting all over the place, because I knew those kids would be attending and for most of the day, I screwed the doors shut.  And yup, it was a good thing I had a little foresight because those dang kids showed up and unlatched the doors of the chicken coop - some people's kids, I tell you!
          Since our first year of having the Golden Unicorn Arts Festival at our place out in the country, in Fosterville, NB, at the base of Green Mountain, each event has drawn more artisans and more of a crowd.  Many of the artisans who attended this year have been here since the first one and already, as soon as the festival ended on Sunday afternoon, some of them signed up for next year's festival.  My wife works very hard to make this event an enjoyable occasion for everyone who attends and like her bubbly good nature, it shows; I heard nothing but good comments; especially how wonderful her baking tastes; absolutely mouth-watering.  Her Sin-Buns (cinnamon buns) are dangerously delightful and I try not to eat too many of them because there's nothing worse looking than a fat-skinny guy - there I'd be; a big round belly with two little skinny arms and two little skinny legs poking out.
          I'm so glad that everyone had such a good time at our arts festival and I would like to thank anyone and everyone that attended, whether they were a participant or an admirer of the many talents, which were displayed around our property on Golden Unicorn Farm.  I do believe there was something for everyone to be enjoyed and perhaps even a little awestruck by what could be seen and heard - the entertainers were of an excellent caliber - some of them returning next year I hope.
          Well, unfortunately, our brave watchdog, while the fireworks were echoing off the ridge from the lake below last night, and even though he was chained inside the barn and could barely reach the fence, managed to wreck the kennel after Justin and I sweated all day to erect that blasted thing, so, instead of writing any more, I'd better go repair the damage - cheers, eh!               

No comments:

Post a Comment