Sunday, November 10, 2013

FIRST SNOWFALL - HERE COME'S WINTER

          Although winter hasn't officially arrived, and I don't think summer ever did, the first snowfall, a harbinger of freezing weather, is now occurring.  Small snowflakes, like miniature paratroopers are dropping out of the sky; countless numbers invading the earth and changing the brownish colours of autumn to white.  Six cords of firewood are neatly stacked in the woodshed; warmth already delightfully radiating from the wood stove in my studio caresses my arthritic joints, and, although not quite ready for the cold months ahead, I am still looking forward to winter.  
          I'd like to think that during the cold winter months, I could just paint and write like the doodler-dabbler that I am, but renovating the upstairs bathroom is going to take up a good portion of my time.  Not that I'm complaining, because building things, since we arrived at Golden Unicorn Farm, has opened up a whole new canvas for me; instead of using a brush and paint, I've been using a hammer and nails.  I'm not just looking forward to turning a tiny, rotting away bathroom into a much larger and luxurious one, the large claw-foot tub I purchased to pamper my arthritic aches and pains makes the project more worthwhile.  I'm hoping the tub will be medicinal and aid me when I expand Sarah's coffee shop in the spring because the way my body feels at the moment, I'm not positive that I can take on such a physical project; putting 2"x8" rafters and floor boards in place is going to be difficult, not to mention applying the metal roof; I'm no longer a young man. 
          The accomplishments I achieved during the summer weren't as many as I had hoped; being laid up with severe back pains and aching knees off and on, took its toll; rendered me somewhat useless.  What I'm hoping for next year is to get the enlarged coffee shop mostly finished by May long-weekend so it can open and when it is completed, I'm going to hang up my carpenter's pouch and use it only for repairs; my building days coming to an end.  Then look out blank canvases and paper; I'm going to have fun!  
          We have a couple of friends, Mike and Judy Saunders living on the edge of a nearby lake during the summer.  They invited us down for a few drinks the other night, before they leave for Victoria, BC; a more pleasant environment during the winter.  We had a great time, and me, not much of a wine connoisseur or imbiber, preferring to drink beer, knocked back way more wine than I should have.  I felt great; my whole body warm and saturated with wine, that is until I stood up to go home; wouldn't you know it, I toppled over and at this age, falling down could be seriously dangerous, many people breaking their hips.  Sarah thought I'd hurt myself but I didn't feel anything; most likely numbed by my alcohol intake.  And to make things even worse, when I stepped out of the car upon arriving home, I fell down again.  I still never felt any pain even though I have a slight lump on the back of my head.  No, no pain; not until the next morning.  Fortunately I don't get hangovers but my body, not being as supple as it used to be, doesn't bounce anymore, the old joints sure played hell with me.  I feel pretty good today and was planning to clean out the chicken coop but not just because it's Sunday, I think I'll have a sort of take the day off, give myself a little more time to heal.  I mean what's the rush; I left a booming city to attain a more casual lifestyle; tomorrow's another day; I'll clean out the chicken coop then - cheers, eh! 
          If you would like to read a very short, 500 word story about my mom that I wrote for Canada Writes on the CBC, check out this link  http://www.cbc.ca/books/canadawrites/2013/11/call-for-submissions-bloodlines.html#mid=13782269&offset=5&page=&s=         

No comments:

Post a Comment