Tuesday, February 11, 2014

MY VIEWS ON EDUCATION

          Well, today is my dad's birthday and if he were still alive, he would be 111 years old.  He died Christmas day, 1969 - and as long as he's been gone and as old as I am now, I still miss my dad.  I realize everyone who's had a decent father thinks their father was just the best old man there ever was and my feelings fall along that line as well.
          I don't particularly want to discuss my life with my dad but I thought it might be worth while writing about his education in comparison to mine and to my kids and their kids.  He didn't have much education - Grade 9 as a recall, and from what he knew, I wouldn't be surprised if his education was equivalent to my Grade 12.  And sadly, from what I've seen of our recent education system, education or the lack of education is definitely sliding down hill - wouldn't be the least surprised if my grade 9 or lower is equal to the graduation classes of today.  My daughter has a little boy who will be starting school in a couple of years and I told her, if she could afford it, to send him to private school.  There was a time when the private school and the public school's education standard wasn't so different but I have a feeling, there is a large gap between the two now.  And, when a person thinks about the costs, parents today, I do believe spend more cash out of their pockets for just a basic education and I mean basic - they aren't even taught how to write anymore.  It appears to me, that upon graduation, kids today, just in order to get the equivalent of my education, now have to take a couple of years of college, which usually requires student loans and it aint cheap.  Isn't that just wonderful - for a rather basic education, the kids are now in debt to the government - a loan that never goes away until it's paid.  As soon as they begin working, the government is taking a chunk of their paycheck for the loan - it's right up there with credit cards - it's called usury.  But hey, I don't think anyone is surprised; isn't the government, banks and corporations all in the same business - it's pretty certain they don't give a rat's ass about the people who pay their fat wages?
          When I went to school, granted it's a long time ago now, and times have certainly changed but my parents weren't being asked for more money out of their pockets by the schools we attended.  Also, when I attended art school for four years, the cost, which was paid by myself or my parents wasn't unreasonable - neither of us owed a cent for that education when I graduated.  When I finally found a job, the government wasn't grabbing any of my wages; well maybe some of it; I had to pay taxes.
          I feel sorry for the kids of today as far as the education system goes - they're not even taught by highly educated teachers.  Also, the time they're taught at school, what with all the Pro D days (I think they're called), Christmas Break, Easter Break, Spring Break and any other Break the unions can work out for the teachers; the kids don't even sit at a desk as much as we used to when I was their age.  And from what I understand, education doesn't have much to do with the marking system either; it seems as long as a kid shows up for school, he or she is automatically passed.  Any place with no standards or very little standards are going to produce mediocrity on a huge level - I wouldn't be too surprised if the future population of our country is heading towards that of a third world country.  I find it rather strange that the arts programs are being reduced quite rapidly, especially since a civilization is often regarded by their culture - of course culture, which is mostly developed by the artistic variety and free-thinkers - \the ones who are outspoken and make definite changes in a society - Big Brother is their enemy.
          Now, I know I've written a dialogue on the education system and I'm hardly an authority on that subject but I don't think a person has to be highly educated to see that it's not working properly - when you think a country's future is based on upcoming generations - education would be a number one priority.  In my view, I think education should be free to students that show good academic and hands-on traits - and I don't mean for making a better economy so the fat cats can just get fatter but for making the world a better and healthy place to live - a world of respect, dignity, honesty - a future to look forward to - cheers, eh!
       
                 

No comments:

Post a Comment