Tuesday, September 13, 2011

FROM DREAMINSAILORMAN TO DREAMINFARMERMAN - A 1 BEER BLOG

          I realize quite a few people follow my blog postings, but since the weather has been highly uncooperative this summer - seems like it rains about 5 days out of each week - my new job description being changed from dreaminsailorman to dreaminfarmerman, I've been busier than a rooster with 30 hens to keep happy, I rarely have much time to write anything.  At the moment, the seldom seen sun is shining brightly and I have to take advantage of it - so much to do before winter comes sneaking about.  I was hoping to finish painting the barn, chicken coop and the garage today, except for the white trim, but the 5 gallon pail of red barn paint ran dry just like my beer supply as soon as I finish the one I'm drinking.  Since I've been painting almost 6 hours straight, I figured it was time to take a break - kick back for a bit, write a little and even though I'm thirstier than a gold fish that's been flopping around on the floor for about an hour and half, I'm trying to prolong my bottle of cold beer.
          I don't know how many of the people that read my blog consider themselves to be be a good, all around, squeeze the last drip out of a bottle of beer but I can honestly tell you that I'm a bonafied beer lover - right from the very thirst time I got my lips around the business end of a bottle of beer.  On occasion, people have told me that I look young for my age (mostly those that are younger and can't relate to my age bracket) and would like to know my secret.  Sarah's oldest daughter Rachel (2 months away from 17) thinks I should dye my hair, mustache and eyebrows so I would look a lot younger but I told her, what's the sense - I'd just be an old man with young hair - still have all my aches and pains - how many intelligent marbles I've still got rolling around in my head are debatable.  However, some that are lathered to the gills with wrinkle filler and a gallon of dye by the sink that are very persistent about my secret, I just tell them I've taken a lot of Vitamin B over the years - B for beer.
          I notice the leaves are beginning to turn colour; the trees soon to be dressed to the nines - a crimson forest against a bright blue sky - autumn, one of my favorite seasons.  I'm not sure if I'm still in the autumn of my years - could be since I sometimes totter a bit and fall down depending on the wind velocity.  However, judging by the colour of my hair, whiter than the tops of the Rocky Mountains, I'd say I've reached the winter of my years - too bad for me, spring will never be popping its sassy head over the horizon.  But hey, things aren't so bad, I've still got a little spring in my step for an old fart.
          I don't know how many of you faithful readers of this old dabbler's blog are looking forward to winter - but oddly enough - I am.  It will be good to take it a bit easy and not have to lift anything much heavier than a paint brush.  I have a friend that's a good wood carver, so I'm thinking of hiking up over Green Mountain at least one day a week during the winter, unless a blizzard is blowing and I can't see one step in front of the other and carve something with him in his work shop.  Since he's carved some great looking gargoyles, I'm considering carving a unicorn with its mouth wide open for the rain to shoot out.  I'm sure he'll be able to help me out if I get into a bind.  And besides carving, I'm hoping to finish painting a painting of Cleopatra in her silver and purple barge that I started over three years ago.  If I was younger, I wouldn't be in such a rush but at this age, with the grim reaper snooping around the back pasture with his sharp steel scythe, it's just one of the things I'd like to complete before I'm gone - you know, it's one of the things at the top of my bucket list.  Dang - my bucket list is full of empties now - need to hit the beer store real soon - cheers -eh!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment