Sunday, February 12, 2012

LIFE AROUND AND IN THE BARN

          The sun is shining brightly this morning but it's brrrr cold.  The trees are stiffly swaying, slowly dancing in the cold breeze, as if they are trying to keep their roots warm from the wrath of winter, which still has a cold grasp on our 50 acre farm in New Brunswick.  For someone who enjoys heat, basking or working under a hot sun, I sometimes question my sanity of moving to such a cold place; one, that when it finally warms up, it's plagued by a variety of flies, like a cluster of miniature vampires that are hell-bent in sucking the blood right out of me until I'm as dried up as a mummy in an Egyptian tomb.  Many people say, "Give me all four seasons," but me, I say, "Gimme summer all year round," makes my aching bones not ache so much and the cold beers taste so much better and go down so much easier as well.  The wood stove in my studio is crackling, making a heated commotion but as of yet, it's still not warm enough to take off my Cowichan wool sweater or hat.  The tips of my fingers and toes feel quite cold but since I can still move them, I'm not too concerned.  Not sure if the temperature is going to attempt to climb up the thermometer today; since it's -18C at the moment, I doubt, even with the glorious sunshine, if it did decide to go higher, the temperature most likely still wouldn't reach 0C degrees.
          Like me, I'm sure the chickens and the rest of the livestock will appreciate the disappearance of the snow and ice, especially since it's been quite some time since they have been allowed outside.  What's the point letting the chickens out to scratch through the snow unless there's such a thing as delicious snow-worms abounding within this snowy barnyard and hey, have you ever tried looking for white chickens in the snow when it's starting to get dark, time for them to return to the coop for the night.  Our 50 hens are laying very well; we're getting over 40 eggs a day and because the two roosters are so randy and keep mounting the lot of them regularly, some of them are getting a little broody.  It's too early to allow them to have chicks yet but will have to keep it under consideration when the weather warms up.  I also have to think about enlarging the chicken coop too and if we can't sell the extra eggs, there's really no reason to have any more chickens until it's time to replace some of them when they become elderly and don't produce as many eggs as they used to.
          Sarah and I have been thinking about getting some meat-birds and letting them free-range like the other chickens.  Not sure if that's a good idea or not, especially, although the chickens are not full of modified chemicals and make healthier birds to eat, the costs involved to produce them may not be very profitable on a selling basis.  Perhaps instead of looking at selling them, we should just consider getting some for our own dinners - they certainly taste better than the pumped up chickens in the grocery stores that are fed inorganically and get so heavy from eating, their legs start breaking from being extremely overweight.  Apparently we are getting some ducks from a friend once spring arrives - guess I'll have to dig a small pond or purchase a small kids' plastic wading pool - either inset it into the ground or weigh it down with a couple of heavy stones, which might be better - that way I can empty the pool and keep the water fresher - don't need to make any more breeding areas for those pesky mosquitoes.
          Just brought in an armful of wood for the stove and toyed with the idea of letting the goats out to enjoy the sunshine but decided against it since the wind is very cold; don't want to risk the chance of the little  buck getting frostbite.  I ran my hand over the top of his head this morning and I could feel his horns beginning to grow; I expect that's not the only thing growing; takes so very little time before they become mature enough to start breeding and with his mother - now that would just be bloody incestuous wouldn't it?  From what I've seen, regarding all the animals we have here on Golden Unicorn Farm, the only one that thinks he's living in Barbados or some such place is Luki our Great Pyrenees dog; he enjoys stretching out on the icy ground as if he was lying on a tropical beach.
          The Fosterville Community Centre is having a pot-luck lunch today and except for Rachel, Sarah, Jessica, Jamie (friend of Jessicas's) and I will be attending.  It's free, just a good old get-together time to fill our faces and listen or spread some gossip - should be a fun time; a wee break from the isolation of winter.  I see Jessica and Jamie just got back from Sunday School and expect they will soon be outside playing on the sleighs or investigating the animals; probably push their little smiling faces into my studio as well.  This is a great place for kids to grow up, especially if they can kick a lot of the media-hyped bullshit about how they should look and act - even for city folk, I feel the crap they preach and push is detrimental to their growth.  I mean how many girls are really going to become movie stars, runway models or entertainers; especially successful ones?  However, before I begin on one of my rants, I think it's time to go into the house and perhaps have a hot cup of coffee with the wife - cheers, eh!        
         

No comments:

Post a Comment