Sunday, July 28, 2013

10"x12" Hand-Lettered Sign
          Here's a little sign I painted a few days ago - Gwen was giving it to her husband for a birthday gift.  Since there wasn't much money to be made, I lettered the whole sign in what I call "bash", a font that takes very little time to letter with a brush.  Gwen was very happy with the results, which always makes me feel good; a job well done.  When we have our Art Festival happening in a little over 3 weeks, I'm considering setting up my 1Shot sign paints and some small, stained 3"x8" wooden blanks to see if I can earn a few bucks "bashing" out people's names - 2 bucks a word doesn't seem unreasonable to me - could be fun.
8'x8' Pictorial Sign
          Another sign I painted recently was for the Farmer's Market in Woodstock.  As you can see, I used another form of "bash", which is quick to letter, which allowed me more time on the pictorial.  Like the other sign, since it was almost free/gratis and because of the lack of time I had to do the job and because my wife Sarah and I are a part of the Market, it was a good deal for all concerned - it took 8-10 hours to produce.  Looking at the finished sign now, I'm thinking of taking my sign paints next week - a thicker black line and a shadow on the lettering and pictorial just might spark it up a bit more, which is something I can quickly manage.  Besides, on Fridays, when we attend the Farmer's Market, I often just sit around, so painting a little bit will help pass the time a little quicker.  I should also mention that while I was painting this pictorial, a woman came up to me and asked if I painted on walls - ah duh - "I'm painting on a wall", I said to her.  OOPS - Just noticed I wrote about this sign already - oh well, you know old guys - they just go on and on and on and on - hahaha.  
          Writing this blog about painting signs, my son in law James Starr, who designs websites and lives in Toronto said, "Sign painting is making a comeback.  Many people are getting tired of the generic look produced by vinyl computerized lettering."
          To which I replied, "I don't really care - I'm not too interested in painting any more signs, at least in a commercial manner."  I certainly can't complain about lettering signs because I made a very good living doing it at one time - had a pretty major sign and graphic shop at - employees coming out the ying-yang, lots of equipment, major clients, etc.  I kind of like it now and I suppose being almost 72 has something to do with it as well - I like looking after chickens, building stuff and puttering around in my art studio; couldn't imagine going into business again.

           One last showing of my arctic documentary remaining - August 3rd.  Have four people committed to it so far, so there are still a few seats remaining.  If anyone is interested in seeing my little adventure film, please feel free to get in touch - as an added bonus, wine and cheese and other goodies will add to the good fun, when I answer any questions regarding the video.  So until I write the next blog - cheers, eh!
  

2 comments:

  1. Love the 'signs' Len, great job on them, not something just anyone can 'knock out' that's for sure! I'm thinking you might do well doing up signs at the Art Fair. I can see people having their house # and family name on one to hang on their homes, among other ideas

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could be right Bren - thanks for the compliment - cheers, eh!

    ReplyDelete