Sunday, April 6, 2014

WINTER CAN END NOW - PLEASE!!!!!!

           It's been feeling a little bit like spring lately but I keep wondering why the snow keeps falling.  The snow and ice finally slid off the roof over our front door; even with the extended snow-rake, because of the way the snow is funneled on to this roof by three other roofs, makes it impossible to pull it off.  Next winter, I'll have to figure something else out because not only is the snow and ice very heavy, it is also very dangerous.  I was standing pretty close to the doorway when it all finally slid off but I wasn't too worried because I was very aware of what was eventually going to happen.  I didn't waste any time going in and out of the house before that; even slammed the door behind me on quite a few occasions in hope of jarring it loose.  The snow is still attached to the roof and I'm hoping, because of its extreme weight, the snow and ice drove itself deep enough into the snow bank so it's not going to shift once it completely detaches from the roof, because if it does, I think it will come right through the window.  
          This winter, since we moved from sunny Vancouver Island four years ago, has been the worst for snow.  I should have a build like Schwarzenegger from shoveling all the cussed white stuff but all I've got to show for it is aching muscles and a very sore back and shoulders.  Although today is sunny and warm, I wouldn't be surprised if, like last night, it snows again.  On average, I would say that the snow in our yard, where it hasn't been piled up, is approximately 4-5' deep and in places, where it's frozen quite solid, I'm able to walk on the top.  However, saying that, when the snow was fresh, it wasn't unusual to step into a soft spot and be up to my waste in the stuff.  And, when that occurs, it's quite difficult to claw myself out.  At one point, I was pretty much exhausted from shoveling and pushing myself through the snow that I just laid down and watched the snowflakes drift down on me.  Duncan, our dog, must have thought I was dying because he laid down beside me and put his head on my chest and of course that's when Sarah looked out the window.  She looked very worried when she stood in the open doorway and asked if I was OK; she thought I'd had a heart attack.  As strange as it may seem, I don't think that would be a bad way to go - have a jammer while shoveling snow - but not have some mini-stroke that paralyzed me, so I'm not able to do anything properly again.  But enough about all the negative things that can go wrong - I still enjoy seeing the snow arrive and will be looking forward to its return next winter; there's just something so beautiful and serene about a fresh snowfall, especially if one is inside where it's warm and cozy - and oh yeah - a hot bubbly drink with a generous splash of alcohol tossed into it, gives it all an added pleasure - cheers, eh!   

No comments:

Post a Comment