Wednesday, May 25, 2011

BIG BROTHER, BLACK FLIES, BLACK BEARS AND BEER

   Big Brother Larry About to Board the Jet

           My big brother Larry left yesterday on the big bird - rather than duct tape thousands of feathers to his arms and paste a bunch of tail feathers to his bum - he flew via Air Canada back to his home in Stirling, Alta.  After spending an abundance of quality time with him, working together and just plain visiting and reminiscing some of the past, he may have suffered from jet-lag once he arrived home, but I find today, I'm suffering a wee bit of Larry-lag - I miss my brother's company.  As I sit at the computer sipping on a homemade cold beer after working out in the pasture and de-winterizing the house, it somehow just doesn't feel the same - the word 'lonely' comes to mind.

          It's a sunny day here at Golden Unicorn Farm, the warm sun shining on my back feels good; my achy bones also enjoying the heat.  I believe spring has finally arrived; swept winter under the carpet of last autumn's leaves.  I was thinking of taking off my shirt while I was outside but even though I was constantly on the move, like a rock star's adoring fans, the black flies swarmed around me - just wouldn't let me alone - so I didn't dare.  Although I was constantly shaking my head and swatting at them, attempting to keep them from going under my glasses, I did manage to notice that the blossoms on one of the many wild apple trees growing on our 50 acres near the base of Green Mountain are finally blooming and awaiting the courtship of the honey bees.  Since this was my first winter in New Brunswick, winter forever clinging to the landscape like a lover never wanting to let go, spring seems to be a lot more meaningful; the pleasure of the opening leaves, flowers and blossoms are like candy to my eyes - sweet!
        Near the ridge of trees growing at the top end of the pasture, I thought I caught sight of one of the illusive unicorns that live on our farm.  He was grazing on the fresh green grass, every few moments lifting his head to check out his surroundings.  Apparently more than the usual amount of black bears, coyotes too, are roaming around this spring or at least that's what I've been told.  I've seen moose, deer, fox and porcupine, not to mention the groundhog, which seems to have taken up residence under the garden shed but no predators yet - only signs - a big pile of bear poop near the south east pasture corner post.  If my understanding is correct, the coyote has crossed with the timber wolf and the melded breed are supposed to be a lot more aggressive - apparently a pack of coyotes killed a woman not that long ago.  I'm not the sort that goes off into the forest with a rifle but I do pack a long sharp knife and an axe - not sure if I'd fare too well up against an angry bear or a pack of coyotes but I'd definitely take a stand just like General Custer at the Little Big Horn.
          Since I just tipped back the last swallow of beer, black flies or no black flies, I'm going to head out into the sunshine and carry on with my never-ending chores.  It's going a might slower today, not because my big brother isn't here any longer to help but because it just seems different without him.         

No comments:

Post a Comment