Sunday, May 29, 2011

NOAH AND ME - 2 SAILORS ONCE UPON A SEA

          The last two Sundays I went to church with my brother Larry when he visited us for a little over a week.  Not being a very religious person, many years had passed by since I'd stepped inside a church just to listen to the sermon, sing some hymns and bow my head in prayer.  I didn't feel the least uncomfortable as I stood next to my big brother and sang off key, at the same time listening to some other people standing behind us; their voices cheerful, melodic and on key as they sang their hearts out.  The Baptist church was small, sunlight streaming through a stain glass window depicting Jesus praying, its pastor aged, friendly and a touch forgetful, the congregation somewhat sparse and respectful; a distinct aura of reverence abounding  but not in a stilted or regimented manner - no - more casual, relaxed - a contentment prevailing.
          The sermons were about Noah, apparently one of two such men who have actually walked with God.  The sermons seemed fitting for our times; tsunamis roaming about the Pacific on a regular basis and sea levels rising higher and higher at an alarming rate.  It's been raining quite often this spring; like winter's snow, it seems never ending.  However, that being said, it's hard to imagine rain pouring out of the sky for 40 days and 40 nights until not a living soul was left alive other than Noah, his sons, their wives and the animals he'd brought on board the ark.  I have been to sea on a small sailboat and looking back to that time when a couple of friends and I sailed across the North Pacific Ocean towards the Aleutian Islands, I can remember seeing nothing but water and sky for many days; the power of the ocean beyond imagination; I was in complete awe.  And that's just the movement of the ocean I was experiencing - imagine the Earth, its size and weight twirling on a fragile axis while at the same time sailing through space around a gigantic fiery star; the sun;  two wee grains of sand amidst a seemingly endless Universe.  I'm sure I must have felt much the same as Noah when he watched all the land disappear until miraculously, the tip of a mountain comes into view on the horizon - land ho!
          A mighty power exists all around us; whether a God-like power or a natural phenomenon; it's still an immense power we shouldn't take for granted or try bending to our ways because its strength is indomitably bigger than us.  A great many people scoff at churches and religious values but whether a person is a believer or not, it certainly doesn't hurt to give thanks that we've been allowed to exist here, if even for only a short period of time; this beautiful planet Earth and all the resources it contains to fulfill our needs is truly a miracle.  I think that's why I'm perhaps saddened when I witness first hand the senseless destruction, the outrageous rape of our planet - like spoiled children, we think we have the right to take whatever we feel like and give nothing back in return.  Unfortunately, whether a rapture occurs and the good people are lifted up to heaven by God or the Earth as we know it comes to an end - nothing is free - there's an eventual reckoning that will be paid in full; like it or not.
          I haven't slept very well the past few days; fighting a cold doesn't help either.  If I were to attend church this morning there is a good possibility that I'd fall asleep but that's not the reason I'm not going.  It's not because I'm an unbeliever either but mostly because I've been out of the habit of attending church on a regular basis since I was a boy and that's a bloody long time ago.  Not completely sure what I'll do today besides not working; perhaps I'll walk up over Green Mountain to visit a couple of good friends George and Margaret - seems that's been a standard Sunday occurrence since winter began.  If I were smart, it would most likely be in my best interest to stay home and try to shake this dreadful cold.  Either way, I'm not in any particular rush today and since it's almost time for Sarah to open her wee country coffee shop, I imagine coffee is perkin' about now.  That sounds good; a hot cup of java and I'm thinking the forest is much like a giant cathedral; I believe I'll take a little walk there - listen to the birds singing their hearts out - bow my head and say a silent prayer - Amen.                                                

No comments:

Post a Comment