Saturday, May 28, 2011

TO READERS OF MY BLOG

          Here I sit in my little studio, in my own little world, in front of a monitor, my fingers going clickity-clack all over the keyboard.  As the letters unfold into words, the words into sentences, the sentences into paragraphs, I can't help thinking about the people who visit my blog.  Some readers read most everything I write, while others may just be surfing randomly to see if anything I've written holds their interest.  If perhaps you are a first time reader and are reading these very words, I'd like to point out that in the Blog's archives you will discover quite a few short stories, which somehow began whirling around inside my head until they somehow achieved lives of their own and insisted that I type them out.  If you stay any longer than a click away from the next web page you visit, I hope that whatever you've read here gave you a little entertainment or had some thoughtful or special meaning to you.
          I've never thought of myself as being egotistical but I recently heard on the radio that poets are considered the biggest egotists of all - imagine that - I write poetry too.  When I think about it, I suppose in a sense that's absolutely true - why do poets and people like me writing Blogs think that whatever we've written about is so damned interesting and worthwhile.  I've also heard that writing is a sign of loneliness and in my case, there is definitely some truth in that.  Perhaps if one is not satisfied with the life they're in, they create their own worlds and their own roles - a silent actor upon a silent stage - listened to by a silent audience.  Occasionally, someone will write a comment about something I've written and I very much appreciate anything someone has to say - whether it's constructive or not - even if it hurts my feelings.
          Quite a few people have signed up to My Newsletter.  At first, I was trying very hard to amass a lot of readers in the hopes that some of the short stories I'd written might just catch the eye of a possible publisher - beg me to write a six-figure great Canadian novel - which by the way -  three such stories are well on their way to completion - although much like everything else I've ever written has never been published.  Can you believe I was almost kicked off FaceBook for blatantly trying to entice a multitude of people, which I might add were complete strangers, to read my Blog.  Even at this age and I expect as the years go by, I'll always have my dreams - even if they never achieve fruition, I still get a kick out of them - and hey - believe it or not - the odd one has come true and what a rush that is - actually had one nonfiction book, Arctic Odyssey, published.  To my loyal fans (I sound like a frickin' celebrity) especially the ones that have signed up to My Newsletter, I would like to extend my hand in gratitude for taking the time to read my stories, my thoughts and sharing some of my feelings.  If by chance I've offended any of you, which I know I have because some of the followers signed off My Newsletter; it was totally unintentional.
          Many people from all over the world have clicked on my Blog, which is something I find terribly fascinating.  Now I can't say for certain if the person squatting inside a goatskin yurt with a computer on their lap in a place called Ulaabaatar, Mongolia, read my Blog but they at least visited it, which to me is rather incredible - the Internet has indeed opened up the world.  Many people living in different places such as Medina, Italy, Perth, Australia, Dublin, Ireland, Bristol, England, Kuala Lumpur, Indonesia and Jumala, Latvia, to mention a few, have visited my Blog.  Closer to home in the US is Mountain View, California, Beaverton, Oregon, Fort Lauderdale, Florida and Las Vegas, Nevada; also in Canada, places such as Chilliwack, BC, Churchill, Manitoba, Toronto, Ontario, etc., etc.  I find it a little odd that except for the very few people I actually personally know who are reading my Blog on a regular basis, the remainder are complete strangers - they seldom leave comments - I have absolutely no idea who they are - can't even tell if they're male or female.  Not that any of that matters but I have to say, it might be kind of nice to hear from some of these people - if not a comment, perhaps an email.  Sometimes when I check back on my Blogs to see if by chance someone left a comment, I'm occasionally hopeful that someone from my past, perhaps when I was a boy, a friend of that era might just leave me a message - because my friends of long ago have all disappeared, it's almost as if I've never been a boy, a teenager or a young man.
          I don't know how many of the people who read my Blog are blossoming authors or perhaps artists but I assume if there are any, they may be much like me.  I'm a creative person, enjoy writing and painting and it's such a big part of me that it's impossible to retain this creativity for a lengthy period of time; it's just something within me that screams to get out.  I don't have to be in the mood to write or paint because I'm most always in that mood - the problem being is finding the leisure time to just sit and splash paint or type words.  To anyone who has taken the time to read this last line, perhaps you could take one little sec more of your time and click on one of the items at the bottom of this Blog: post more, boring or interesting. 
        

No comments:

Post a Comment