Sunday, May 8, 2011

SPRING HAS ARRIVED AT GOLDEN UNICORN FARM

          Yesterday, while I was tearing the temporary extension off the garage, I could hear thunder rolling across the landscape and reverberating off the hill tops; the sky suddenly turning very dark and ominous.  I never saw any lightning but I could heard the storm approaching from the state of Maine and it was coming straight at Green Mountain in a rush.  I had taken my sweater off and was nonchalantly sipping a cold beer but as a cool mist surrounded me, the first hint of a downpour, I hurriedly finished my job and put everything away.  The first drops of rain felt like kitten paws kneading my shoulders but before long, the sky rent the skies asunder and the deluge began; the tin roof on the garage and studio sounding like a Jamaican kettle drum band, the lead singer raucously vocalizing, "Hey mon, hey mon  Let da rain come down  Let it pour out its song  Wash away all my troubles - make everyding right - dat was wrong."
          Since the snow left a short time ago, the grass around our house, like the grass in the lower and higher pasture has turned from a drab brown to a lush green; the air is alive with the music of croaking frogs and they must be happy because the black flies and mosquitoes are beginning to appear; tasty little morsels for their long sticky tongues.  I haven't noticed any bats returning from the warmer realms below but they should be arriving any time now; hopefully keep the flying insect population down a little.  From what I hear the black flies and mosquitoes, many of them reaching the size of humming birds, are a real nuisance, so I best see if I can find the insect repellent and my hat with an attached net to keep them out of my face; lots of outdoor chores like building a fence, a barn and putting in a garden will begin tomorrow; I try not to work on Sundays.

      Garry Clark Unloading 100 Cedar Posts   

          I've been trying not to think about all the work that needs doing around Golden Unicorn Farm, because when I do, this old man begins feeling overwhelmed, almost panicky and that's not a good thing because sometimes while I try deciding which job should get priority, nothing gets started and time just drifts on by.  Since Garry Clark and I picked up a hundred cedar posts a few days ago and Sarah and I would like some better weather to invite our neighbours and friends over for a barn-raising, I'll make that my No. 1 priority, besides I'm still searching for a couple of large beams and about 30-2"x6"x12' long boards for the rafters and floor joists.  I should probably get the garden tilled during the same time as the fence is going up, since George and Margaret Probst who live on the other side of Green Mountain gave us some black and red currant, gooseberry and raspberry cuttings a few days ago; they should be planted into the soft, damp soil immediately as well, or, should the earth get turned over by a tractor and a tiller first?  Now I'm beginning to get overwhelmed but all of those things that were just mentioned need to happen almost right away.  Did I mention I have some signs to do too - have to start getting ready for our little coffee club on the May long weekend.  Jeesh - I'm already tired out thinking about all the chores and I've hardly started yet!
          I've been up since 5:30 this morning and I see by the old brass clock attached to the studio wall, it's almost time for me to start trekking up old "heart-thumper" (Green Mountain) go visit my friends George and Margaret and check out a huge old barn one of our nearby neighbours recently bull-dozed down and is going to burn.  He told me I could take whatever I wanted from the wreckage and I'm hoping to find the already mentioned beams and 2x6's.  However, from what it sounded like, the beams have already been spoken for and if there are still some remaining, they would most likely be at the bottom of the heap.  And to be honest, after tearing down Glenn McLean's little old barn, I really don't feel like dismantling a lot of old lumber searching for something that's probably no longer there; pulling rusty old spikes can be a real back-breaker.  And then again, I do find lugging home a lot of well-seasoned, silver-weathered barn wood quite appealing, so I can perhaps make some touristy nick-knacks during my snowed-in winter days to sell next year.  Summer has yet to arrive and I can't believe I'm already looking forward to winter's arrival - but I am - won't be so much work to do then! 
     

1 comment:

  1. Dear Len, I was admiring the cabinet that a Mr. George Probst custom made for me 20 years ago; and of course wondered if he was still creating beautiful works. I typed his name into the computer and your name came to light "George Probst nova scotia", as part of your blog. I'm almost 99% certain we are speaking of the same George Probst. I commissioned the cabinet as he was departing for the East and upon its completion he and his wife drove 11 or 13 hours to deliver it to me, here, in St. Bernard-de-Lacolle (neighbouring Hemmingford) where Mr. Probst lived, on Napper Rd. My search is simple curiosity, his workmanship was beautiful and I wondered if he ever published a book with his works. Thank you for your time, Pauline Orr.

    ReplyDelete