Monday, August 29, 2011

GOODNIGHT IRENE

          The name Irene conjures up a couple of memories for me; I actually have an Aunt Irene and when I was a boy lying in bed at night above the Spotlight Cafe near the corner of Boundary Road and East Hastings in Vancouver, BC, I sometimes heard its sad refrain playing on the juke box, "Goodnight Irene, goodnight Irene, I'll see you in my dreams..."  However, last night as I lay in bed, Hurricane Irene howling relentlessly outside, as if lamenting her waning power, her tears falling in torrents, I was hoping she would blow herself out by morning.
          Before heading off to bed last night, after the wind had knocked out the power and a lull in the rain had occurred, Sarah, Rachel, Jessica and I went for a walk down to Sandy Beach.  Before we were halfway there, the dark roiling clouds split asunder and we were caught in a heavy deluge - we were pretty much instantly soaked.  Although the wind and the rain actually felt warm, we decided to continue the walk.  I was expecting to see the large lake in a frenzy, frothing whitecaps crashing on the shore but it was unbelievably calm and flat.  As we began walking up Green Mountain on our way back home, a sudden gust of wind wound its way towards us and I actually witnessed a large fir tree in the wake of its fury, snap like a toothpick and plunge into the swollen stream rushing towards the lake.
          This morning, although the wind is still blowing, the sumac tree growing just outside my studio window dancing to its steadfast music, the dark grey clouds appearing to diminish; I see patches of blue sky and the sun attempting to show its warm face through the breaks.  Somewhere I just know there is a huge rainbow but I doubt that I shall see it.  The goats and the dog seemed to have survived the storm just fine and the chickens aren't crowing any complaints, so I guess all is well here on Golden Unicorn Farm.
          I notice the leaves are slowing changing colours; autumn will soon be upon us with winter not far behind.  A lot of outside work still remains so I hope the rain will hold off for awhile.  I still have to batten up the barn, caulk up some of the tiny holes in the metal roof where screws were used to attach it to the barn it originally came from, put in a new chimney to my studio (leaks like a sieve), cut up some wood and pile it in the wood shed, not to mention build a stall and milking station inside the barn for the goats, plus build a small pen inside the chicken coop to separate a few chickens from being pecked to death; boy, some of those hens have a very nasty streak!
Jack Looking at Me Through the Studio Door - Horny Old Goat        

          Jack or I wonder if it's Jacques is certainly becoming a very smelly goat.  He is desperately wanting to get laid and in the process, like many men who douse themselves with aftershave or cologne, he sprays his head with urine.  One side of his face and one ear has taken on a yellowish tinge and I imagine he thinks he's irresistible to Freya but to us - my gosh, does he look some awful and does he ever have a disgusting aroma.  If I could coax Freya to lift her tail towards Jack's affections, I certainly would because once she's bred, the billy goat will be heading off to a new home pronto.
          The goats can no longer look inside the studio as I recently built a small chicken run just outside the doorway.  When we feel it's safe to let the chickens have full run of the place, I may take it down because they certainly are messy.  However, on the other hand it may be a good idea to keep the pen in place, Sarah's been thinking some ducks might be nice - I could be turning into a Dr. Doolittle soon.  I like that name: Doolittle.  That's the way I'm hoping to become this winter - do little - cheers -eh!  
                 

No comments:

Post a Comment