Thursday, August 11, 2011

RESTLESS NIGHTS AND BIRTHDAY PARTIES

          Sleeping has become sort of a formidable problem lately and, for the life of me, I don't know the reason for this nightly malady.  I don't seem to be beating myself up over some subconscious or real dilemma; my mind isn't whirling around any deep thoughts or repetitive thinking; for the most part I'm quite content.  Perhaps it's just an age thing - I've heard that old people don't need much sleep; is that because they often have naps or because they perhaps live a more seditentary life style and are not really tired?  I'll soon hit the big 7-0 and I'm not sure if I'm in the almost old or old category yet.  What age is considered old?  Hmm, I seem to be writing about the age thing rather than why I'm not sleeping as well as I once did a very short time ago - perhaps not realizing it, once I shut my eyes to drift off to slumberland, my mind is dwelling on my age and the amount of time remaining in my life.  It's true, I'm definitely not a young buck any longer with countless years ahead of me but neither do I feel like I'm ready for a rocking chair.  I still have goals I dream of attaining and I still enjoy learning many different things, especially working with my hands and becoming closer to nature, that is, before I become real close, like 6' down and sprouting daisys.  
          My wife is planning a party for me on my 70th birthday and we still occassionally talk about my 50th; she couldn't believe how many wheelbarrows were filled to the brim with bottles of beer on ice.  As I recall, it was a great party and something too, which I remember about that party that didn't seem remarkable at the time but is now, is what Sarah said to me when she arrived with a good friend of mine, her soon to be new husband.  She doesn't remember saying, "I like older men" but I do!  However, who would have thought, everyone being very colourfully drunk at the time, Sarah and I would one day wed?  I have to say, although I've had quite a few birthday parties over the years, my 50th was probably one of the best if not the best party ever.
          Most of us have had good birthday parties, memorable birthday parties, happy laugh out loud and emotional teary-eyed birthday parties and I expect like me, many have experienced a not so good party.  I suppose my worst ever birthday party was when I had turned the big 1-0 and had just moved to a new neighbourhood and was enrolled in a new school.  I hadn't made any real friends at that point but I was having fun at school making new friends.  Since the kids living in the immediate neighbourhood wouldn't have anything much to do with me, I didn't invite any of them to my birthday party but at school, that was a different story - I invited just about everyone in my class to attend.  When the birthday party day arrived, which was held on a Saturday afternoon; pot full of weiners boiling on the stove, chocolate birthday cake hidden away in the cupboard with 10 candles waiting to be lit and chocolate ice cream slowly melting in the icebox, I was ecstatic.  I guess you might say that a boy by the name of Owen Hughes was my best friend that day because he at least phoned to say he couldn't come to the party.  All the other kids that I'd invited who said they would be at the party never arrived.  I can laugh at it now but at the time, I can remember feeling quite sad.  Perhaps like on my 50th birthday, had my mom and dad filled a few wheel barrows full of ice and beer, I would have had a better turn out.
          I've got a lot on my plate these days and with winter not too far away and wondering if I can get everything done outside before the snow flies may be on my mind.  Possibly the upcoming parade this weekend and the Arts Festival on the 21st, so much to do before we are ready for the artisans and crowd of people to arrive may have something to do with my restless nights as well.  And then again, perhaps it's just an age thing since I've noticed ever since I hit about 50 years of age and every five years or so after that, there have been some subtle and not so subtle physical changes.  I know for a fact, although I have no idea how many people will be at my 70th birthday party, that's not keeping me awake at nights. And one thing for sure, I'm glad it's not a surprise party - at this age, if everyone jumped out, yelled happy birthday and scared the bejeezuz out of me - it just might stop my heart - cheers -eh!  

No comments:

Post a Comment