Thursday, October 13, 2011

COLOUR ILLUMINATES MY SOUL

          Autumn is glowing; an extravaganza of colour illuminates my soul and yet, in the early morning air, I feel the cold breath of winter against my face reminding me that a starker beauty will soon be arriving.  The summer seemed so short but still I have a feeling of accomplishment as I wait for the snow to fall across the hills and the ice to form on the lakes.  The attached barn and chicken coop has been completed; a place that will hopefully be warm for the animals and the chickens when the temperatures drop well below zero.  The wood is stacked and already the wood stove has been crackling in the early morning to take the chill out of the house.  The apples have been picked from the tree and off the ground and for one who has never enjoyed store-bought apple juice; the apples I've crushed and turned into juice, at times almost thick enough to chew, is tartly delicious.
          Lately, the sky in the evenings has been as radiant as the autumn leaves; hues of  gold, crimson, and purple slowly turning into shades of indigo; the full moon rising to a spectacular glory in the heavens; the night so bright, I'm not in need of a flashlight as I make my way to and from the studio before going to bed.  All seems quiet here at Golden Unicorn Farm; perhaps too quiet.
          Rumor has it, this winter is supposed to be the worst it's ever been in the past 20 years - compared to what, I have no idea since this will only be the second winter I've lived here at the base of Green Mountain.  I like to think we are prepared or soon will be - a few chores are still remaining before the snow flies; a poly skirting at the bottom of the house needs applying, canning more veggies and fruit, plus filling the feed room with more grain, hay and straw for the barnyard creatures since foraging in the pasture will no longer exist.  Which reminds me, since the barn is not completely air tight and nor should it be, a heating bulb may be necessary if the temperatures should drop severely and remain there for a long period of time - wouldn't want the livestock to freeze to death.
          Yesterday, I saw a black bear on the road, a very short distance from the house.  When I was harvesting the apples, a lot of bear signs were apparent and I had to be careful where I stepped - their landmines were all about.  Not much longer and their food sources will become very scarce and they will be heading off to sleep the winter months away in their dens - living off the fat they've accumulated.  Last year at this time, we had two squirrels harvesting the pine cones off the trees growing at the back of the house but I guess because of Luki's, (Great Pyrenees dog) presence, they have opted not to show their little bushy tails.  Which reminds me, I have to build a bird feeder soon - besides feeding the non-migrating birds, it's great to have them about and see them on a regular basis.
          Ah yes, the autumn jamboree is in full bloom; the chattering trees in the morning breeze telling me it's time to start my chores - cheers - eh!   
             

No comments:

Post a Comment