Wednesday, October 5, 2011

I SHALL LIVE - THE PEACE WITHIN

          I like to read and I read many different books for different reasons.  Sometimes, like a movie, TV or the theatre, I like a book that simply entertains me - it doesn't have to be well written or have a great deal of meaning - I read it simply for its entertainment value.  I don't particularly care for trashy stories or Harlequin Romances but I often enjoy a love story - the kind that grabs a person by the heart strings and strums a beautiful tune and at times, even causes a tear or two to fall.  However, the last book I read, although it wasn't what I would call entertaining, nor was it a love story (unless the love for one's own family is considered) I Shall Live, which was written by a Jewish man Henry Orenstein, is a book I'll not forget.  Henry Orenstein survived the holocaust from 1939 to1945 but not all of his family were so fortunate.  He was incarcerated in no less than five concentration camps and survived a death march that ended when Germany surrendered and his SS guards fled during the night.  Mr. Orenstein, like many of us, in his own words, "still live in hope that the world will become a better place." 
          Although I was born during the Second World War, I nor none of my family were ever in any danger but upon reading I Shall Live, like it or not, I realize we are all in danger today; not from a Hitler maniac but just from our own selfish needs.  Whether or not there will be a Third World War, we can't be sure but it doesn't take a great deal of insight to notice that the world, like never before, is in a very precarious and extremely fragile position.  When the air and the water is polluted and the Earth is plagued with droughts and floods, the ozone layer surrounding this planet is barely repelling the sun's rays, the polar ice is melting at an alarming rate and one extreme hazard after another is constantly occurring, I for one am losing hope for the human race when all our world leaders mostly dwell on the economy, allowing the Earth to be butchered just to make a buck - there has to be a better solution.
           Unfortunately I'm not bright enough to come up with a solution and even if I did, even if I screamed it at the top of my lungs so the whole world would hear, I know that my remedy would mostly fall on deaf ears and its echos would soon be trampled silent underfoot.   I don't think I have to tell anyone that the world is in a sad state and needs healing in the worst way but I believe, rather than warring any longer over religious, political and scientific beliefs, we should declare a worldwide truce and repair our world, make it livable once again like it was before - have clean air to breathe, pure water to drink, and healthy food to eat - nourish the world and we nourish ourselves.
          I've written scads of poetry over the years and once in awhile like now, I wrote a little poem for the blog.  I don't have a clue if it's good poetry or not but I believe the words have some value.

The Peace Within

The world needs healing
It’s obvious
Stand tall
In this turbulent era
Of dire unrest and conflict
Every population jeopardized
Look within
Find the inner calm
Intelligence
Strength
And reach out
Let the goodness within
Unite with countless others
And bring peace to the world

          At the moment, it's very windy outside and as amazing as it may seem, the sun has flashed its warm face a few times today,  The sky is supposed to clear and minus temperatures have been predicted for tonight.  I can definitely feel the cold breath of winter in the air but here in my studio at Golden Unicorn Farm, I cleaned the stove pipe and chimney this morning in anticipation of the snow and freezing temperatures.that will soon prevail on a daily basis.  Things may not always seem so great in my little world and because I know that many people have so little, next to nothing, I can't help but rejoice that I'm living in such a great place, no major conflict going on and no danger to me or my family.  May it be the same for you and yours - cheers -eh!  

No comments:

Post a Comment