Sunday, November 27, 2011

SUNDAY MORNIN' COMIN' DOWN AND GOIN' UP

           This morning feels like a line in a Kris Kristofferson song, "Sunday mornin' comin' down".  Now don't get me wrong, not like in my younger years when I woke up on some Sunday mornings snuggled up to my brown paper bag of drunken delight and wishing the bottle wasn't empty, I just feel a touch moody this cold Sunday morning, a slight cloud of melancholia pressing down on this old head.  For the most part, I've always been a somewhat happy-go-lucky sort of guy plodding along through the ruts of my life, sometimes reaching exciting exceptional highs and other times deeply despondent lows.  The problem about feeling really high and sitting on a lofty summit with no more places to grab a hold and pull yourself even higher; the only direction remaining is downwards and usually it's a tumble.
          I wrote about "fracking" in the last two blogs because it really upset me and I thought for a millisecond that maybe there was something I could actually do to help bring this disgusting manner of extracting natural gas from the Earth but when I turn back the pages of time and discover that nothing has never really changed in our human behaviour since the first caveman wanted a better cave to live in; we seem to be cursed with the dependency of consumerism, and, at this particular time of the year, Christmas, being the highlight, the spot light, the high point, an almost out of control frenzy of purchasing gifts; merchants of every demeanor reaching out with their long arms so their greedy hands can be overflowingly filled with gold and silver, I've come to the realization there isn't really much hope of changing our ways.  No matter how many people hold their placards high, stretch their banners wide and loudly chant for positive change as they march towards the people they have voted for to help make the world a better place, at least to my point of thinking, even when some changes occur for the good and betterment; the placards and banners are soon strewn and blown away on the wind of hopelessness, the marching and the cries no longer heard; everything has soon been forgotten, hushed over and when seemingly no heads are turned, no ears are listening, whatever was pushed aside or overturned, is once again creeping out of the darkness.
          Historically, going back in time, even before Alexander the Great and Genghis Khan toppled civilizations, the way of the world has always been in a continuous turmoil; the only thing being different now, the existence of our civilization is threatened, not by a horde of soldiers but by our rebelling planet.  As we all poison, choke and stab the Earth in all manner of ways, like a huge, itchy animal, I fear nature will one day rear, shake its head and rid itself of the flea infestation - mainly the whole human race.  I guess if there is any hope to be seen rising over the horizon at that time, if the world is even remotely in some state of habitation, there may be a few people still clinging to the Earth with their cracked and broken fingers and if there are any, I hope they have more foresight and a goodness within so that perhaps they can prepare a better way of co-existing with each other and especially with nature.
          I know some of the people that read this blog think that I'm just an old fool having a rant and perhaps I am but it's my blog and I can say what I like (chuckle, chuckle).

    Actual Footstool

          Our little 50 acres of paradise here at Golden Unicorn Farm is covered with patches of snow and since it now looks as if winter is here for its duration until spring arrives, somewhat like the big black bears that occasionally prowl around on our place, hibernation, even for me, seems a likely choice.  I had the wood stove in the studio blazing happily the other day as I made some crafts for a craft fair this weekend.  I constructed and painted an actual footstool - yes - an actual footstool for wee kiddies to stand on while brushing their teeth or perhaps reach something that's just not quite reachable.  I made ten of them and for me, not being a carpenter by any stretch of the imagination, I found it to be quite challenging.  So far, at this weekend's craft fair, although I've heard a lot of good comments, I've yet to sell one - perhaps $50.00 each is too much.  Today, I shall lower the price to $45.00 and for $5.00 extra, since I'm a sign painter by trade, I'll personalize them if so wished.
Art Card
       
          At this weekend's craft fair, I'm also selling cards for $4.00 each or 3 for $10.00 depicting some of my paintings.  I decided to add another card to this collection and see how it does - yesterday I sold one and watched as a lot of people's faces lit up with big smiles as they looked at it.  The painting has long since been sold but in these hard financial times where many people cannot afford a piece of art to hang on their wall, I thought they might enjoy a little of my art and perhaps pass on their enjoyment by buying one of these cards titled "Real Women Fart Out Loud".  Hope you enjoy it too - cheers - eh!  
 
               

No comments:

Post a Comment