Monday, March 19, 2012

GOOD-BYE SIMBA

Simba and His Mommy Freya
          Never thought I would ever get even remotely attached to a goat but I have to admit that ever since little Simba was born and became a member of the Golden Unicorn barnyard, I actually came to like the little guy.  For one thing, even though he was just a wee buck, he didn't continually baaaaa, baaaaaaaaa, baaaaaaaaaa, like his mom; she definitely can belly-ache; kinda gets on this old guy's nerves at times.  However, I don't kid myself, if the time ever comes that for one reason or another we can't keep Freya, I'm sure my heart will be feelin' a touch sad when I have to say good-bye to her.  Strange things about animals, at least the way they affect me, I may tend to whine and complain about them at times, but for the most part, they become my friends; why hell, I even find myself talking to them as if they were human.  One thing about them, whether they agree or disagree about the one-sided conversation, they never argue back.  And for the love of me, sometimes I just don't understand animals at all, because if I happen to dislike them, like cats for instance aren't my favourite animals, they still come purring around and climb up on my lap.
          Well, today is one of those kinda sad days because I had to say good-bye to Simba this morning.  Jessica named him Simba after the Lion King movie but I jokingly and maybe not so jokingly called him Shiskabob, because chances are he was going to become someone's meal; perhaps even ours, so I was keeping his cuteness and friendliness at a bit of a distance.  I mean, it's impossible to slaughter and eat a member of the family.  Sarah listed him For Sale online and we were quite happy when a man said he was going to buy him for a petting zoo he was starting up and then later, would use him as a breeder.  However, when the man's wife began working at a full-time job, he decided not to.  So once again, Simba was listed online.  Apparently another man is going to buy him to use as a breeder, so that's good news for Simba.
          From what I could tell, Simba had a pretty congenial personality for a goat but he was definitely growing up to be a Billy-goat.  He was already looking at his mother with amorous eyes and had fervent intentions of mounting her - it wasn't from lack of trying to get it on with Freya, his ding-dong and his back legs were just too short; not that she would have let him have his way with her; at least not yet.  I will miss playing with him, rubbing his little head sporting two tiny horns and having him greet me in the morning but then the realistic part of me won't miss what he will become when he grows up; if he's anything like his dad, Jack; I pretty much had to take a big stick to him to keep him from trying to attack me; it's amazing how quiet they can be when they come at you from behind.  But just the same this morning, it was a little difficult to play with little Simba and give him his morning groceries one last time.
          I filled his large carrying-cage with a fresh bed of straw for the truck journey to his new home and I have to admit I felt a little sad as I picked him up and put him inside; his big trusting eyes looking back at me as I locked the door.  Then hearing him call to his mom and Freya bleating back as the truck drove off kinda tugged at the old heart-strings as well.  It's strange though, especially since Freya seems to be baaing all the time, I thought she would probably call for Simba all day and possibly into the night but as odd as it may seem, after about ten minutes, she shut up.  Now, that little Simba is gone and Sarah isn't going to be back until later this evening, I guess I will have to milk her.  Now, that should prove interesting since I haven't milked or should I say tried milking anything since I was about 4 years old at my grandfather's homestead in Woodpecker, BC.  Good thing the old cow was gentle; most likely thought I was its little calf squeezing its' teats - cheers, eh!  
                   

No comments:

Post a Comment