Thursday, March 15, 2012

LIFE ON GOLDEN UNICORN FARM

          Here I was smiling and thinking to myself that spring was just a wee robin hop around the corner and then winter like a big old wolf starts huffin' and puffin' and blows a whole lot of snow all over Golden Unicorn Farm - now that's just plain rude.  Since we're located in somewhat of a sheltered area, the snow has been slowly melting and then, last night, we get another dump and just when the bare earth was beginning to poke through its cold white mantel.  Perhaps that's the way it goes here - sort of like last winter at the edge of spring - just as soon as most of the snow had melted and the flowers began to poke their happy wee heads out of the ground in search of the illusive sun, old man winter just heaped a bunch more snow on the ground.  Oh well, no use whining about the weather, not a whole lot a fellow can do about it.  I don't mind the snow and cold very much anyway but it would be nice to be able to let the chickens go scratch around the barnyard; they've been cooped up for quite a long time.
          The chickens are ready to cock-a-doodle-do right out of their hen house; strut their stuff all over the place.  Not sure if they get a touch of cabin fever or not but a bunch of them ganged up on one of the Polish hens.  They had pecked her so badly that by the time I found and separated her, she was in really bad shape.  She died during the night, much to Jessica, Sarah's daughter's dismay; she was plenty upset about that since she is doing a 4H  presentation on the three Polish hens.  I'm keeping a sharp eye on the two remaining hens and at the first sign of bullying, I'll separate them otherwise, if they get literally hen-pecked to death, Jessica won't have much of a presentation.  Although they're probably the dumbest of all the chickens; they're probably the friendliest - one of them used to follow me around the barnyard like a puppy dog last year.  Strange thing about chickens; I just watched a show about dinosaurs the other night and it seems that they are petty much direct descendants from them; I could definitely see the similarities.  It was interesting watching the dinosaur film and seeing how the changing world conditions, during the different eras, millions of years ago, pretty much exterminated them.  It's odd that through the different eras, aeons and aeons of years ago, natural events destroyed life on the planet, and now, threatened again, it could quite possibly be destroyed by man.  Hmm...I wonder if the chickens will survive - maybe that's the reason why the chicken crossed the road - to survive!
          Freya (our goat) and her little buck are doing well and unless it's bitterly cold or really wet, I let them go outside.  Of course Freya, the only thought on her mind is eating, immediately heads to where I feed the dog in search of his leftovers.  If for some reason, I've forgotten to take Luki's dog-dish away, whether empty or not, he's right there to protect it - took the goat quite awhile and a few scars to realize, it's not safe pushing a predator around that's larger and has big sharp teeth.  The little guy is really growing; although he's still taking milk from Freya, he's also munching on a little hay and definitely shoves his head into the feed bucket along with his mother, when I feed them a little grain and other treats.  The little buck was sold to a guy who was starting a petting zoo but after his wife got a full time job, they decided not to do the zoo idea, so he's up for sale again.  We were really pleased when he was going to be part of a petting zoo and then used as a breeder but now, if he isn't sold to someone who wants to use him for the same things, there's a good chance he will wind up being someone's supper - we're even considering that possibility - I hear goat meat is really tasty and lean.  As long as I'm not the one that kills the goat, I don't think I'd having a problem having a feed of goat.  There's a slight possibility we'd keep him but we can't risk the chance of him breeding his mother.
          I cleaned out the chicken coop and the goat's stall yesterday but I was very careful; the way my back has been acting lately, just picking up a dirty old sock could put me out of order.  Since there's no rush, not like I have to go to a job-job, I packed very light loads of manure off to the manure pile.  Also, to help alleviate the pain and give some extra support to my back, I wore a back-brace for the first time.  Although I felt twinges of pain, nothing too severe while I cleaned out the manure, and afterwards, had a good hot soak in the tub, this morning when I woke up, both my hips ached like hell.  Mind you, the pain has mostly ebbed away now, so I guess for the rest of the day, I'll just have to try and not work as if I was a young guy; just take my time and do the work slower, not lift anything that's too heavy so that I strain myself.  Having to admit that one is old is not that easy - at least I don't have to worry about being one of those old guys that always talks about when he was young - oh yeah, besides my strength, my mind is ebbing too - can't remember much of my younger years any more - and if I repeat myself - please put it down to old age forgetfulness - cheers, eh!

Posted a couple of paintings on Facebook - if you're interested in seeing them - check it out -   https://www.facebook.com/pages/Len-Sherman-Canadian-Artist/222245371206927

No comments:

Post a Comment