Sunday, February 20, 2011

INSPECTOR ADDISON - THE REMINGTON MURDER - Episode 2

As Inspector Addison was studying an almost life-sized bronze sculpture depicting a partially attired muscular man holding a spear, about to plunge it into an attacking wolf, Hobson opened the door and ushered Lady Charlesworth into the parlor.  Her dead husband was not an old man by any means but his wife in comparison, looked very young.  Being in mourning, she wore a long black dress that almost touched the floor.  It was made of silk that shimmered in the sunlight streaming through the windows and rustled lightly as she walked across the room and sat down.  She wore a small matching hat and although the veil covered the top portion of her face, he could tell that she was a very beautiful woman.  With such a beauty to share his bed, he couldn’t help wondering why the late Sir Rodney Broderick Charlesworth would have had such a roving eye.

After the introductions were made Lady Charlesworth said, “Shall I have the maid bring us some tea or would you prefer some other refreshment?”

“No thank you Lady Charlesworth, I promise this visit will be very short.  I'm terribly sorry for your loss; I expect it came as a great shock."

"Yes, thank you inspector.  It was indeed a great shock - I can hardly believe he's gone.  We'd been making arrangements to go to our country estate soon to spend the remainder of the summer there, and now this," she said stifling a sob.

After the inspector gave Lady Charlesworth suitable time to compose herself and wipe some tears from her eyes he said, "I need to ask you a few questions regarding your husband’s whereabouts last night.  I realize it’s probably not a good time to do so, so soon after his death, but it's imperative that I get on with the investigation.  I hope you realize that the fresher the memory is regarding yesterday’s event; the better it is for us to proceed.”

Lady Charlesworth nodded her head and told him she understood and to proceed with his questions.

“I'd first like to ask you if your husband was in the habit of being out so late at night, since the approximate time of his death was very close to midnight?”

“I didn’t keep tight tabs on his comings and goings,” Lady Charlesworth said somewhat perturbed by the question.  “He often went to his Private Club in the evenings and I have no idea what he did while he was there.”

After a few more questions, slowly building her up to the more intimate and personal inquiries, the inspector asked, “Did you know that your husband went to see someone at the Remington Hotel last night?”

Before replying, she rang the servant’s bell that was hanging next to her chair and said, “I believe I will have some refreshments after all, if you don’t mind inspector?”

“No, not at all,” he replied..

When the maid arrived, she asked her to fetch a decanter of Scotch and two glasses – looking at her inquisitor across the room Lady Charlesworth said, “In case you change your mind inspector.

Now where were we?  Oh yes, you asked about Sir Rodney seeing someone at the hotel.”  After pondering the question for a few moments she continued, “He had so many business dealings; I wouldn’t be at all surprised that was the reason he was at the hotel.”

Trying to put his next question as politely as he could Inspector Addison asked, “Did your husband have any business clients who were women?”

The inspector could tell that he’d hit a raw nerve because Lady Charlesworth was nervously twisting her hanky and rubbing her hands together.  As if saved from answering the question, she relaxed a little, when the maid returned, opened the parlor door and pushed a tea caddy into the room, which contained a half full crystal decanter of Scotch, a matching decanter of water and two tall glasses.  After the maid poured her mistress a glass of Scotch, she asked the patient inspector, “And you sir?  Would you care for a glass as well?”

“No thank you,” he replied.  “I’m on duty.”

The maid was about to add some water to Lady Charlesworth’s glass when she said, “Not now thank you.  I believe I’d like to experience the full benefit of the Scotch.”

Taking a long sip, the amber liquid slightly burning her throat as she swallowed, she coughed slightly and said, “As far as I know he didn’t have any business dealings with women.  Are you insinuating that there was a woman at the hotel and, is she the main suspect?”

“We're not positive that your husband had actually been with a woman at the Remington Hotel since the clerk at the desk was very vague as to the comings and goings of the guests." 

The inspector watched the widow take a rather large gulp of Scotch before proceeding with the investigation.  “I’m sorry to have to ask you these very personal, and I suspect, possibly hurtful questions, but traces of lipstick were found on your husband's body.  Do you have any idea who he may have visited at the hotel; it could be very helpful and I promise to be very discreet?”

As Lady Charlesworth rubbed one of her long slender fingers along the brim of her glass, the inspector noticed a tear trickling down her cheek from under the veil.  When she regained her composure, wiping the tear away with her hanky she answered, “I’ve suspected for a long time that my husband had been seeing someone fairly regularly but I have no idea who she is.”

“I don’t know why I should be mourning; it’s not the first time he’s been unfaithful," and upon saying that, she removed her hat, which had been pinned to her thick wavy blonde hair and placed it on the tea caddy alongside the decantor of Scotch.  Her eyes glistening with tears she added, “I loved him very much and although we were for the most part generally happy, I knew he had secrets.  However, when I confronted him about his liaisons, he told me I was just imagining them, there wasn't anyone else in his life other than me.  I wanted desperately to believe him; so I did.”

After weighing the questions and answers, the inspector stood up. “Thank you Lady Charlesworth.  I realize it’s been very hard for you to answer my questions and please except my apologies, but if you should think of anything, and I do mean anything, which might lead us to your husband’s killer, please get in touch with me right away.”

Just as he was about to leave he said, “I don't believe his death was the result of a random robbery; he may have known the murderer.  After I see how far the investigation has progressed back at Scotland Yard, I’d like to come back and question your staff and anyone else who is living in your house.  At that time, could you please inform me if he had any  friends or someone regarding his business affairs who might have wanted him dead."  Excusing himself and seeing Lady Charlesworth about to stand up he said,  No need to get up or ring for the butler, I’ll see myself to the door.”

Just as the inspector opened the door, he caught sight of Hobson disappearing around a corner near the front entrance of the house.  He thought, probably listening at the door to our every word; wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he'd been looking through the keyhole too.  It’ll be good to question the staff because they often know much more than what they let on. 

Lenny's Murder/Mystery CONTEST HAS BEGUN!   The last episode will expose the thief and dastardly murderer and of course there will be clues along the way as the story unravels for the reader to figure out, which person killed Sir Rodney Broderick Charlesworth.  

CONTEST RULES:   Participant must subscribe to my Newsletter, which can be located at the top of this Blog in order to enter the contest.  It's very easy to do and you can take yourself off the mailing list whenever you choose.   Participant must determine who killed Sir Rodney Broderick Charlesworth - only one answer per person to be emailed to lenwsherman@gmail.com before the last episode is posted.  Should there be more than one correct answer there will be a random draw for the final winner!  GOOD LUCK!  

However, I'd still appreciate MORE READERS so please share this Blog with your Internet and email friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment