Monday, February 7, 2011

STRIDER DAN - A Racehorse's Point of View - Part 2

“Now why would you go and do a silly thing like that?" reproached Strider Dan.  You should have talked to me first.  I was planning on taking it a bit easy today; one of my horseshoes nicked my back ankle during yesterday's workout and it still hurts.”

“A big stud horse like you and a little nick on your ankle – do you hear me whining because I’ve only got one eye and a limp-noodle-dick?  And besides, yesterday, when I was being led to the track for my morning workout, I heard the trainer telling my rider that if you won today, they were going to retire you - put you out to stud.   Just imagine; all those cute fillies; being lined up in a row, just for you to have your pleasure with them.”

“I never heard of such a thing.  You're pulling my leg; you just want me to win today so you can cash in on that bet!"

"No.  Honest.  That's what I heard!  Hey, I'm your best friend - I wouldn't kid you about something like that."  

"Hmm...retired to a stud farm with a lot of pretty fillies needing servicing?    I best rethink today’s strategy – a stud farm you say – imagine that! 

“Well I am pretty old for a racehorse; not too many of us run anymore at this age.  Yeah, I knew I was up against Royal Standard and Laurel Wreath but I'm not too concerned about them.  I can pretty much run their asses off on any given day.  It's that big black horse, Buckshot Billy, that's the one I'm worried about.  You know, the one that just moved here from the east coast – he’s the real dark horse in the race – no pun intended.”

“So, what do you think Danny boy?  Can you win it or not?”

Strider Dan puckered his soft bristly muzzle and while rubbing it briskly back and forth along the edge of his door, he pondered his upcoming race.  Then, looking at his friend Merc he whinnied with confidence, “Since you know us horses can’t bet on ourselves, double your bet for me – I’m going to run like the devil himself is sitting in the saddle and he’s laying his whip of fire across my ass with every stride I take - I'm certain my nose will be the first one to reach the wire.”

"Atta boy!" Merc replied.  "I'm going to bet the whole bale of hay on you!"

No sooner had his friend mentioned doubling his bet, Strider Dan noticed Jimmy holding the tack his arms, the trainer and the morning workout-rider coming his way.  He nickered to Molten Mercury. "The trainer don’t know squat and the rider is literally a real pain in my ass – whacks me way too much - so I’m going to do a little training and running on my own this morning – the mile long race I’m entered in this afternoon aint going to be a piece of cake and I want to make sure I’m good n' fit for the race this afternoon!"

Molten Mercury gave his friend an odd glance and wondered what he meant by those words.  Rolling his one eye he thought, as if I don’t know.

As Jimmy hoisted the rider up onto Strider Dan’s back and began walking him out to the track, the trainer began instructing the rider what he wanted done with the horse.  As if, thought Strider Dan.

At first, the rider commanded Strider Dan to just trot along and he was OK with that; he needed a little warming up, help get his old muscles and joints loosened up.  However, when the rider settled down on the saddle high up in the stirrups and began lashing his backside with the hard leather crop, urging him to run; he was in for a big surprise.  Strider Dan bolted like he was coming out of the starting gate and then just as suddenly stopped dead in his tracks!  The rider becoming airborne, flew over his head and landed in a twisted heap in the middle of the track.  Taking one look at the irate rider who was swearing loudly and stumbling to his feet, he smiled as only racehorses can smile.  Then, giving his long white tail a flick, Strider Dan began to run.

To be continued...cheers - eh!

No comments:

Post a Comment