Tuesday, February 22, 2011

INSPECTOR ADDISON - THE REMINGTON MURDER - Episode 4

“I find your answers to my questions somewhat vague Hobson?"  Attempting to get a much clearer declaration to his questioning he continued, “The evening Sir Rodney was murdered you told me that it was your night off and you stayed at a friend’s house; is that correct?”

“Yes,” the butler answered rather forcefully.  “That’s what I said, but I disapprove of giving you the person’s name.”

“Well Hobson, that can't be helped, I need to verify your alibi.  Rest assured I’ll be very discreet, if that’s what’s bothering you.”

“Do you promise not to tell another living soul inspector?” Hobson pleaded as he looked over his shoulder at the door as if to make certain it was closed and no one was listening to their conversation.

“I give you my word of honour Hobson, no one will ever know except us and the other person you name,” assured Inspector Addison.

The butler sighed deeply, “I suppose if you must know but you have to be sure that no one else learns about this because it will mean my services will no longer be necessary and I doubt very much that anyone else will employ me.”  Glancing once more at the door and lowering his voice almost to a whisper he said, “I spent the night with the gardener.”

“Ah,” the Inspector quietly exclaimed.  “One plus one equals two; now that explains why the gardener was often times rather hesitant about answering my questions.” 

“What did he say to you?” asked the butler.

“Discretion my dear Hobson; anything anybody has told me thus far has been for my ears only.  You may go now.”

“Now you’re absolutely sure you won’t tell anyone about what I’ve told you?” Hobson worriedly asked.

“Positively – mum’s the word.”

As the butler walked to the door, the inspector told him to tell Lady Charlesworth that he had finished with his inquiries and if she would be so kind to join him for a few minutes before he left, it would be highly appreciated.

A few minutes went by before the widow arrived and he asked her to please close the door and have a seat.  Lifting her long skirt slightly, she settled into one of the large overstuffed chairs across from the inspector and said, “Did you have any problems with the employees; I told them to answer truthfully any question you asked even if it wasn’t in my best interests?”

“They were all very polite and I believe answered the questions truthfully.”

“So Inspector Addison, are any of them a suspect?” she slyly inquired.

“I’m sorry Lady Charlesworth, but I’m not at liberty to answer that question.  However, you can be assured that once an arrest is made, you will be the first to learn of it.”

“You’re a rather quiet man aren’t you Inspector Addison – a real thinker – there’s more to you than what you portray,” she determined rather than asked a question.  “I have a great deal of confidence that you will find the heinous, despicable murderer who killed my dear unfortunate husband.”

“Thank you for your confidence Lady Charlesworth; I’ll try not to let you down.  However, before I leave, I’d like to ask you one or two last questions. 

"Firstly, were there any of Sir Charlesworth's friends or business aquaintances that you could think of who would have wanted your husband dead"

"None that I could think of inspector; all the ones I know about have shown only satisfaction with their transactions.  The only one I could think of who'd he'd been somewhat upset about was his banker but that was over a year ago and they seemed to be on very friendly terms now.  As a matter of fact, he and his wife came to dinner about a month ago." 

Besides some of your staff; is there anyone else living in the house?”

“My mother lived with us up till about a year ago before she died but I suppose you already knew that,” she said.

“No I did not,” replied Inspector Addison.  “I’m very sorry for your loss.”

“Both my mother and my older sister Amelia came to live with us about two years ago.  My sister still lives here.  She has a large suite on the east wing which faces the rose garden; it’s a very beautiful view.”

“From what I've seen of your grounds, I’m sure the view is sensational.  “But I must have a word with her too.”

“You don’t think my sister Amelia had anything to do with my husband’s gruesome murder do you Inspector Addison?”

“It's just preliminary police standards.  I’ve questioned everyone in the household Lady Charlesworth– you wouldn’t want your sister to be left out would you?” he said, wondering whether or not the grieving widow had any sense of humour.

A slight smile appeared below the veil as she said, “No.  I guess not.  I’ll have Hobson fetch her.”

“It’s been a long day for you Inspector Addison?  Would you care for some refreshments?”

“Yes please.  A tall glass of water would be in order – thank you.”

Shortly after the maid arrived with a decanter of water, filled his glass and left, Hobson showed Lady Charlesworth’s sister into the parlor.

As Inspector Addison lightly shook Amelia’s extended hand and introduced himself he said, “I’m sorry, your sister didn’t tell me your last name.”

“It’s Danforth,” she replied, “Amelia Danforth but please, just call me Amelia; it doesn’t sound so formal.”

“Thank you Mrs. Dan…I mean Amelia,” the Inspector stuttered purposely.

“Oh dear, I’m not a Mrs. – I’m very single,” corrected Amelia who appeared to like what she saw in Sandy's rugged good looks.

If I didn’t know better, I’d swear the lady is flirting with me, he thought.

Like her sister, Amelia was dressed in black, except she wasn’t wearing a hat or a veil to cover her face or her long blonde hair, which was meticulously tied into a large bun on the top of her head with a wide black bow.  The inspector thought she looked very elegant and her movements sensuous as she lifted her low-cut dress slightly, exposing a pair of high buttoned black boots.  When she sat down on the sofa, which was next to his chair and finished straightening her attire, she leaned slightly forward, exposing her ample cleavage.  However, it wasn't her womanly attributes, which caught his interest, it was her smile; the lipstick was the same shade, which had been discovered on Sir Charlesworth.  Hmm, very interesting, he thought.  To be continued...


Lenny's Murder/Mystery CONTEST HAS BEGUN!   The last episode will expose the thief and dastardly murderer and of course there will be clues along the way as the story unravels for the reader to figure out, which person killed Sir Rodney Broderick Charlesworth.  

CONTEST RULES:   Participant must subscribe to my Newsletter, which can be located at the top of this Blog in order to enter the contest.  It's very easy to do and you can take yourself off the mailing list whenever you choose.   Participant must determine who killed Sir Rodney Broderick Charlesworth - only one answer per person to be emailed to lenwsherman@gmail.com before the last episode is posted.  Should there be more than one correct answer there will be a random draw for the final winner!  GOOD LUCK!  

However, I'd still appreciate MORE READERS so please share this Blog with your Internet and email friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment