Thursday, February 24, 2011

INSPECTOR ADDISON - THE REMINGTON MURDER - Episode 6

When Victoria Charlesworth entered the room, Inspector Addison was just snapping the flap shut on his leather brief case.  She said, "I hope your interrogations were satisfactory and that you’ve come to the conclusion that no one in this household had anything to do with my husband’s death.”

“Yes Lady Charlesworth, the questioning went very well thank you.  It cleared up a little of the fog regarding my investigation.  I of course can't tell you very much about this case.  However, it appears that someone in your household may know more than he or she has told me.  There’s a distinct possibility that someone here could be involved with Sir Rodney’s demise; doesn't necessarily mean they're the thief or the killer.  Since Sir Rodney is believed to have had a goodly amount of money on his person at the time of his murder, there could be perhaps more money at stake here than one might imagine.  If I may, I would like very much to have a look at Sir Rodney’s study or wherever he kept records of his business dealings, perhaps there is an obvious clue in plain sight.  Also, since Sir Rodney had no children, what is to become of his estate and other wealth; from what I hear, he was obscenely rich?”

Somewhat flustered, Lady Charlesworth pinched her bottom lip lightly with her hand and asked, “Oh dear; you really think someone here had something to do with my husband’s murder?  You must tell me who it is so I can dismiss him, and then she chuckled, “How silly of me; no need to dismiss him.  He'll be arrested of course – won’t he?”

“Why do you assume the murderer is a man Lady Charlesworth?”

“Because…because, “she stammered…”Because the way my husband died was most ghastly.  There must have been an horrendous amount of blood.  A woman couldn’t possibly do such a dreadful thing.”  

“Quite right.  You wouldn’t think so.  But let’s get back to Sir Rodney’s inheritance.”

“Like I told you earlier, I didn’t really know too much about my husband’s business affairs but he once told me that I was the sole inheritor.”

“And, I hate to bring this up Lady Charlesworth, however…” clearing his throat he continued, “Should something happen to you, God forbid, who would become the beneficiary then?”

“From what I understand, a small part of the estate would be evenly allotted to several of his nephews but the bulk of it would go to my sister.”

“And does your sister know this?”

“Yes she does.  My husband made the announcement somewhat cheerfully over dinner one evening although I don’t see anything cheery about death; he quite liked Amelia.  Heaven’s, you don’t think she had anything to do with his death?”

Ah, the plot thickens; perhaps there is more than a little buggery going on, thought Inspector Sandy Addison.  “At this point of the investigation there is no proof of your sister being involved.”

“Thank goodness,” Lady Charlesworth exclaimed.

“And now, may I please have a look at the room where he kept his business affairs.”

“Yes, yes of course.  I’ll take you there.”

As Lady Charlesworth led Inspector Addison, a few stepes behind her, down a long hallway and up a flight of stairs,  he couldn't help but notice how her narrow waist  flared into a shapely bottom and remember what Amelia had said about the gardener being such a waste of a man, except now, it appeared to be the waste of such a beautiful woman.  When she stopped in front of a large door, she asked him to wait until she returned with a key to unlock it.

After disappearing into a room further down the spacious hallway, she soon arrived back with a key on a large brass ring dangling from her fingers.  As she was unlocking the door the inspector asked, “How many people have access to this key Lady Charlesworth.”

“Only my husband; I was never allowed in his study.”

“I see," he said.  "But if he had the only key; how did it come into your possession; I would have thought it would have been hidden?"

That’s somewhat of an intimate question inspector Addison."  Although he couldn’t see her eyes clearly beneath the veil, he did notice that her cheeks reddened a touch when she continued, “My husband and I had our own separate bedrooms and one of the rare times I shared his bed and we made love; he thought I was asleep.  But I wasn't and I watched him go into his study.  Upon his return, I saw where he hid the key.  Sometimes when he went away on business, I'd go into his study to see what he was up to, especially since he hardly ever told me anything about his dealings but all I ever found were some ledgers, boring business papers and the odd letter from bankers and other professional people.  I imagine, since we very seldom slept together, I had suspicions about him having an affair with another woman.  I suppose without my realizing, I was actually searching for an incriminating love letter but I never found anything of that nature.”

When the door was unlocked and they stepped inside the room, after seeing so many large and lavish rooms throughout the house, Inspector Addison was surprised to see that Sir Rodney’s study was quite small and unpretentious.  There was only one window, which looked out across a well manicured lawn that contained a large sculpted pond; three white swans slowly gliding across the sparkling water added to its simplicity.  A large oil painting hanging directly behind his desk was most likely Sir Rodney’s father because the resemblance between the two men was remarkable.  Besides Sir Rodney's well padded black leather armchair, three other matching chairs could be seen, except they didn’t have arms.  The walls were lined with leather bound books and not all pertaining to business – many of the shelves contained works of literature written by renowned authors.  The room was meticulous, even the desk, although there were a few piles of paper on it, seemed to be very orderly as well.  Besides several quills standing in a narrow gold urn on a large ink blotter, there was a matching gold ink container and a long thin silver letter opener with what looked like initials engraved on the hilt.  As the Inspector looked around the room, his eyes subconsciously memorizing every object, he pointed at another door and said, “I assume that’s the door leading to his bed chambers.”

“Yes it is.  Would you like to go in?”

“No thank you, unless of course he had the only key.”

“The door was always locked when he was away on business but the key to his room as well as the keys to many of the other rooms are kept in the servant’s area.  My husband would sometimes become very irate if his room and any of the other rooms were not kept clean and tidy at all times.”

Going around to the back of the desk, the inspector asked as he was already opening a drawer, “May I?”

“Yes of course if you must.  Perhaps a professional search may turn up a clue.”

As Inspector Addison searched through the drawers, Lady Charlesworth sat down on one of the chairs that was closest to the window.  As she watched the swans, appearing to be eating something beneath the water because all their heads were submerged, her thoughts were interrupted by the inspector, “I presume Sir Rodney has a safe.”

“Oh yes, yes of course; it’s located in the wall under the portrait of his father.  I believe you’ll find it unlocked and the contents much the same as what you’ve already discovered in the desk.  He never kept anything of real value such as cash in it; mostly deeds, signed agreements and other pertinent material regarding his estate.  I believe his lawyer Mr. Andrew Bailey has my husband’s last will and testament at his office, if that’s what you’re searching for.”

“I’ll of course be having a visit with Mr. Bailey.  Since the amount of wealth accrued by Sir Rodney's own personal business dealings and inherited from his forefathers is vast; money makes a very potential motive.”

“That should do it for now Lady Charlesworth: I believe I’ve seen all there is to see here for the time being.  However, if you don’t mind, would you please make sure that everything remains the same in your husband’s study.  I may have to take a closer look at things and what's inside the safe later on.”

“You've told me a little bit about your investigation Inspector Addison.  I don't suppose you have any idea how long it will take before you solve my husband's dreadful murder?”

“I believe were making headway Lady Charlesworth and even though the Bobbies have questioned the clerk at the Remington Hotel and are still questioning may of the people living in the immediate area, I believe I shall visit the hotel tomorrow and have a look at the suite where your late husband was last seen alive.  You did know that he kept a private suite at the hotel didn’t you?”

The inspector didn’t think Ladsy Charlesworth acted as surprised as she should have when she answered.  “No.  But I’m beginning to feel not too upset about what I’m hearing – it appears that my husband was hiding more than I could have ever imagined.”  To be continued...


CONTEST RULES:   Participant must subscribe to my Newsletter, which can be located at the top of this Blog in order to enter the contest.  It's very easy to do and you can take yourself off the mailing list whenever you choose.   Participant must determine who killed Sir Rodney Broderick Charlesworth - only one answer per person to be emailed to lenwsherman@gmail.com before the last episode is posted.  Should there be more than one correct answer there will be a random draw for the final winner!  GOOD LUCK!  

However, I'd still appreciate MORE READERS so please share this Blog with your Internet and email friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment