Sunday, March 17, 2013

NAME THE UNICORN

          Just when I thought spring was maybe going to happen, like candles on a birthday cake, good old winter blew out all the warmth.  Snow is turning everything white once again and although it's certainly beautiful to observe, the ridge almost obscure; I do believe I'm ready to swap it all for the dratted bugs that will soon be taking winter's place.
Steps 1, 2 and 3 of Unicorn 11"x14" Acrylic Painting

         Now that I finally finished painting the portraits and the Rockford Mill, I've begun painting one of the many unicorns that calls Golden Unicorn Farm its home.  She's a beautiful animal; snow-white, sleek and as elusive as the wind when she frolics through the trees and across the wee glen that lies a short distance away below my studio window.  Although she's a fine figure of an animal; I'm thinking and wouldn't be surprised, by the slight broadness of her belly, that perhaps she's in foal.  Since she won't let me close or stand still for any length of time while I paint her, my paint brush daubs, swishes and dances across the canvas in a blur whenever she makes a dash from the trees.  Sometimes, and I know that she knows that I'm looking at her, she will stand for a moment, shaking her head, flicking her thick white mane about her as if to say (since I know most unicorns are quite vain) "Am I not the most beautiful creature you've ever laid eyes upon?"
          Aha, I see the elusive princess peeking out from between two large fir trees.  Please excuse me for a moment or two as I grab my #5, series 2500 Currys brush and slash some paint across the canvas when she decides to make a dash for it.  I love the way the sunlight glints across her silvery body and sparkles throughout her mane and tail.  She was very quick that time, no prancing or showing off but even so, I managed to get a few more brush strokes on the canvas.  Oh, I should almost mention, that although I bought the brush at a Currys art store in Toronto; because unicorns are such magical animals, some of their magic rubbed off onto my brush when I tied it on a branch where they often hang out and couldn't help brushing up against it on a hot day or if they just plain didn't want to be seen.  However, that being said, it's still up to the artist to control this power and have good eye to hand coordination.
          So far, the painting, I feel, is coming along just fine and so does the unicorn; believe it or not.  Oh yes, she's seen it and very close up.  I set the canvas up on an easel near the trees, and being as curious as a cat, I'm pretty certain she's saw it because soon after, she came prancing out of the trees and struck a stately pose for a moment (she's such a poser) just before dashing across the glen.
          I'm trying to think of a name for her and  because the landscape is covered with snow and it's winter, I'd like to somehow incorporate this time of year or theme into it.  Snowy Mountain, Winter Magic, Snow Wind, etc. comes to mind.  If anyone reading this blog feels they have a good name for the unicorn, please let me know by leaving a comment, either here on the blog or on my Facebook page.  (I may make a contest out of it but I'd need to think of a prize (perhaps a print) since I can't give this painting away - I'll have to sell it because as magical as the unicorns are, money for brushes, paints and canvases, doesn't just  magically appear.) - cheers, eh!    
      

No comments:

Post a Comment