Saturday, March 30, 2013

UNICORN PAINTING

Unicorn Progression

          As of yet, this particular unicorn doesn't have a name and both me and this little bucking and frolicking unicorn are open to any reader's suggestions.  He's an impatient little rascal; been bugging the hell out of me to finish his portrait.  He doesn't seem to buy the reasoning that an artist has to be in the mood to paint - he just calls me lazy and there is probably more truth in that statement than my feeble excuse.  I have to truthfully say, I have never really had to be in the mood to paint or be creative - what generally gets me focused is a deadline, and of course, when a painting isn't commissioned and I just paint whenever and whatever I feel like, a painting generally takes much longer to complete.  The only deadline I've actually stressed upon or given myself in regards to the unicorn paintings, is not to let my blog or Facebook entries lag too far behind, which is why I post photos of the painting's progress from start to finish - forces me to write something as well.
          Now, some of the readers may be wondering why I've chosen to paint unicorns and for the most part, it's mainly because of the small herd of unicorns that live here, on Golden Unicorn Farm.  And this I find to be a little strange, especially since they're so elusive and don't like anyone seeing them up close.  However, since they're somewhat vain; they really appreciate the idea of having their portraits painted and turning them into limited edition giclees on canvas, paper prints and of course cards, so that anyone who buys one will give it to a friend.  I doubt that the unicorns are nocturnal but that seems to be the only time they allow me to see them up close and only for the briefest of moments.  Because of the darkness, the only light being the moon and stars or the sun sinking below the horizon, I have to use a fair amount of artistic license on their details.  For instance: in this painting, the unicorn's eye was not visible so within the shadows of its long forelock tossed across its eye, I gave a hint of light, a mere twinkle, which is perhaps the unicorn's soul shining through the darkness.  
          This little spirited, spotted pinto is certainly a playful and most exuberant unicorn.  He's a yearling with the antics and mischievousness of a teenager that always seems full of p. 'n' v. (piss 'n' vinegar).  I'm looking forward to finishing this particular unicorn painting because already, another one is beginning to nag me about painting their portrait.  Of course, Snow Star believes her portrait will always be the best because she was the first to be painted.  Which reminds me, although the snow is melting very quickly, the pickings are still quite meager in the fields and forest; I had better go throw out another bale of hay near the edge of the trees - cheers, eh!       

No comments:

Post a Comment