Thursday, December 27, 2012

CHRISTMAS 2012 - A SPECIAL DAY

Christmas Day - Me, Sarah and Her 2 Girls Rachel and Jessica

          Well, Christmas has come and gone for another year.  Over the years, it's mainly been a happy time with the family and friends.  However, Christmas day, since 1969, has always been touched with a bit of sadness because that's the day my dad died.  I don't get all boo-hooey and teary-eyed but I can't help reflecting upon that day, so many years ago.
          This was our 3rd Christmas at the base of Green Mountain in Fosterville and I can't help but think how fortunate we are to be living in such a place, even if the weather forecast today is for 18" of snow and cold blowy winds.  We all received many gifts, lots of goodies to munch on and a traditional turkey dinner with all the trimmings.  Sarah and I start Christmas day knocking back a couple of special coffees - perhaps a bit more Bailey's than coffee but that's what makes it so special.  And my Sarah, she's such a special woman to me; she seems to be singing carols the whole day; my, how that woman makes me smile; she has such a good heart.  
          Most of the gifts I received for Christmas were very practical; actually, when I think about it, even the case of Moosehead Pale Ale was practical.  I'd had three cases of beer in my studio when I became sick a little while back and didn't get out there to start up the fire.  -18C is undeniably cold and all my beer froze - now that was a boo-hooey time, when I poured all the beer into a snow bank and then it was quite laughable because anyone who came for a visit thought I'd peed in the snow.  Since a friend of mine, Gary Stairs is a beer conisseur, much like myself, he gave me 4 bottles of ale imported from Scotland.  So far, I've sampled the gooseberry ale and although it has a nice flavour, it seemed to be lacking the bite of a good dark beer, which is my preference.  I've been hoping to share the beer with Gary but if he doesn't drop in for a visit soon, I'm afraid he may miss out.
          Jessica is 11 years old and she still believes in Santa Claus, which I think is a good thing.  He may be just a big bag of Ho, Ho, Ho but as old as I am, I can still remember when I believed in the big, chubby man with a twinkle in his eyes.  And, like Jessica, I always left a wee snack for him on Christmas eve before I went to bed and also wrote him a note.  I can remember being very excited about St. Nick's arrival with a sled full of toys pulled by 8 tiny reindeer, the most famous being Rudolph with his big red nose (probably drank a few beers too many).  I'm not sure if I even slept because me and my sisters always got up very early on Christmas day.  
          Besides my dad passing away on Christmas day, one Christmas, when I was just a little boy around Jessica's age, still stands out in my memory.  I never thought we were on the poor side but I guess we were, because come Christmas eve and my sisters and I had gone to bed, we still never had a Christmas tree.  In the previous years, at least a week before Christmas, we always had a tree and it was always fun to decorate.  I can remember how discouraged we felt that night; if there wasn't a tree; where would Santa put the presents and would he even show up?  In the morning, I can't express how excited my sisters and I felt when we walked into the living room and saw the decorated tree all lit up.  I learned years later that my dad wasn't able to afford a tree and living in Vancouver, a large city, one just couldn't go out and chop one down.  He'd waited until all the people who sold Christmas trees had finally went home and then he  picked one up that had been left behind.  The thing about Christmas to me is not about getting and giving; it's the whole package; the good feelings, the merriment and the memories that follow - the special times I've had with special people that I can no long share those times with.has great meaning to me.  I know that Jesus was born that day, but I've never been a religious person.  Now don't get me wrong, I've always believed He was a very special person and I always give thanks for His special day - cheers, eh!  

No comments:

Post a Comment