Monday, December 17, 2012

SIGNS, POOPY COOPS AND A CONCERNED FRIEND

          It's been a wee while since I wrote anything here and the reasons are because I had some signs to make and when I finished those jobs, after dropping them off at the Farmer's Market to my customers last Friday, I became kind of sick - a strange sickness where I was shivering under a bunch of blankets for no real reason and then beginning to sweat.  A friend told me that I may have gotten pneumonia and then another, the flu - but the strange thing is that I never really lost my appetite that much.  I still consumed breakfast, lunch and supper, albeit not as much as I normally eat but it was still an adequate amount of food and I never did feel like heaving it back up - very strange.  Although a great many of my joints ached, my stomach ached during the night, I never really had a headache or felt any nausea - hmm - anyone have any idea what could have been wrong with me.  I'm not totally alright yet but feel a whole lot better and seem to be improving..
          Since I may have left a few people in a bit of a lurch about how the Lawrence sign turned out, I thought I should post a couple of photographs of it.  The first one contains a rough sketch of their cottage and a drop shadow.  After I painted the illustration and its border using 1Shot lettering paints and a small chisel-edged acrylic brush, I then used a 1/4" squirrel haired lettering brush to paint the outside border and edges to complete the job. The customer was very pleased with the result and said if anyone asked about who had don it, she'd be sure to put my name forward.
          When I used to be in business, I found my best form of advertising was a satisfied customer.  However, now that I'm no longer really in the sign business, it's become more of a hobby, it still feels good to know that people are satisfied with the results of my signs, especially since I don't get paid anywhere near what I used to - there is such a difference in pricing than when I lived on Vancouver Island. I still have some small magnetic signs containing only one word to do for a fellow in the state of Maine - traded him for seven bales of hay for our goat - now how's that for a deal - have always enjoyed the bartering system because it often makes everything affordable to both the seller and the buyer - sort of a win/win situation.  I've enjoyed painting and sketching a few live nude female women over the past years using that same system - I couldn't afford the price of a model and they couldn't afford to pay for a painting.  
          Feels good not to be sort of semi-alert or partly comatose today and not just laying around on the couch watching mundane B-movies or mindless sitcoms where the characters seem to more or less make sarcastic jokes about each other because that's all we seem to access on Netflix.  I'd pretty much watched most of the better programs before.  However, having said that about my health and laying about like a couch-potatoe, doing this morning chores and then the evening chores, I've once again broken into a sweat - hoping the chills don't start occurring too - time to end this Blog.  
         But before I do, I'd like to mention that a young friend of mine, Justin, showed up this morning to clean out the chicken coop for me, which is incredibly cruddy at the moment, because I became sick the day before I was going to clean it out.  However, since the chicken poop was frozen to the floor and every where else it seemed to collect and it would haven taken a jack-hammer or a hand grenade to break it loose, we sat down for the better part of the morning over a hot cup of coffee and discussed a lot of things that doesn't seem to interest a lot of people these days - the sort of stuff that I'm criticized for being a sort of doom and gloom guy.  I have to admit it was refreshing to hear from someone that young who was concerned about the environment and upset that everything has a dollar value attached to it.  In times of a crisis or a natural disaster, a man like him might be a good person to know.  So few people from my generation forward (most likely including me as well) are lacking considerably in the ability to survive a real crisis - let's hope the power never fails, oil never becomes non-existent or if they do, there is still plenty of fresh water to drink and food to grow for at least those remaining that still remember how to tend to things and not just go to the local grocery store with their plastic cards - cheers, eh!

2 comments:

  1. The finished sign is brilliant and pricing in rural NB is a far cry from Vancouver that's for sure! Flu's come in lots of forms and it sounds like you might have had a nasty one. My hubby, Jean and I have had these discussions and my greatest fear would be, not that we couldn't find a way to take care of ourselves, food/shelter but that with our current society you'd never be able to defend against those who would simply come and take by force what you do have, it's a different world we live in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much for responding Bren. Thought I'd feel better today but as soon as I start to do anything (actually considered mucking out the coop this morning) I start breaking out in a sweat. Although I'm feeling somewhat lazy and useless, it's probably best to wait until I'm sure whatever nasty bug has infiltrated by body has had its nasty ass kicked out - just not a young guy any more, even if I think it at times, which is usually when I'm sitting in a chair, sipping a cold beer, while writing about one of my hero type characters take on the world.
    "Our present society", especially since my generation came into existence, have continually lost more and more of their natural abilities. I know what you mean because I've had similar discussions with people as well regarding the results of a catastrophic natural or man-made disaster. It's odd, I never really felt scared when the Russians and the US came together over nuclear arms in Cuba, but I have to admit that the present world ecological conditions really frighten me, especially when the powers in control, including our own Prime Minister Harper only see the economical advantages.
    Have you seen the documentary PETROPOLIS, about the Alberta tar sands? You should check it out if you haven't. How the premier of Alberta, the Prime Minister and many of the other premiers across this nation, actually any human being for that matter can say that this is a good thing is beyond me but then again, perhaps their not really human beings - cheers, eh! PS: Please keep commenting, your opinions are worthwhile, even, if like me, we are just voices in the wind. Don't know if you share this Blog with your Facebook friends or anyone else but the more voices that get together, the wind may only scatter them afar but they will be heard - thank you again Bren.

    ReplyDelete