Tuesday, December 11, 2012

HAND LETTERING, MUSIC AND JUST PLAIN RELAXING

       
18"x12"  Sign for a Cottage by the Lake

           I'm just sitting here at the computer upstairs in my studio loft waiting for paint to dry or at least get tacky, so I can continue on with a sign I'm lettering that has a small pictorial at the top.  The view from the window is relaxing and yet disturbing, since our next door neighbours clear-cut their 50 acres.  During the summer and autumn months, when our trees were fully clothed with beautiful leaves, they blocked the destruction but now that the leaves have fallen, lie stiff and crunchy beneath the snow, I can see large bare areas on the ridge.  I'm sipping a cold beer, Moosehead Pale Ale, and its golden amber tingles my taste buds.  I'm also listening to some cool, soothing tunes by the likes of Whitney Houston, Diana Krall, Roy Orbison, Elvis Presley and Leonard Cohen.  Although the weather outside is probably on the low minus side of zero, I'm so warm, I've opened the window wide and have unbuttoned my shirt to my naval.  Now that's a scary sight!  However, for me life doesn't get much better than at the moment.  Hmm, my wife Sarah is supposed to be home early this afternoon from her part time job at Glenn McLean's, since his wife Edna is not doing very well these days - I wonder if maybe I can interest her in a little afternoon delight just to top off the day.  The kids are in school; a cool beverage; the stimulating type, smooth music, a decadent munchy or two and hey, who knows what might happen - the boudoir could become a cave of exciting romance?
          The CD has ended and it's suddenly become quite quiet.  Except for a piece of ice sliding down the metal roof or the crackle of the fire in the wood stove, everything is very still.  Unlike when I was living in the city not that long ago, the sound of traffic doesn't exist.  Out here where we live, when three or four cars go by in short order; we call that traffic.  Well wet paint or not, I'm going to head on down the stairs, mix another colour and cut around the lettering - besides my beer is gone down brilliantly and before losing its golden glow, I'd like to pick up the brush again and watch the paint flow.

  Same Sign

          Well, now I've completely taken my shirt off because of the over abundance of warmth, down right sweaty at the moment - thinks this calls for another cold beer.  I don't know how many people are interested in signs and since the computer generates letter perfect signs, I regretfully tend to lean that way.  However, "Lawrence's" is a hand painted lettering job.  I'm using a 1/2" lettering brush and 1 Shot enamel lettering paints.  I mixed chrome yellow and white together with just a dab of burgundy to create a sort of Tim Horton's creamy colour for the letters and mixed fire red and black to make a reddish brown for the background.  I'll have to wait for the paint to dry now before continuing on - will most likely finish the job tomorrow - needs to be ready for Friday.
          As much as I'd like to continue on just wiling my time away writing and relaxing to the sounds of Whitney Houston, who at the moment is singing the main song she sang in "The Body Guard" starring alongside Kevin Costner.  Such a beautiful woman with such a beautiful voice; so sad she got all hung up on drungs and died not so long ago.  Yeah, I gotta go; Sarah's daughter Rachel sat on the toilet the other day and broke the oak seat.  Now from the sounds of that remark a person might think she weighed just short of a baby hippopotamus but just the opposite is true.  She's very slender; a strong wind might blow her away if she didn't grab onto something to hold.  But since I've turned into somewhat of a Mr. Fix It since moving to NB, I'm going to mend it and put up a coat rack as soon as I post this Blog.  Plus, I've got to water the animals, tote some bags of chicken feed to the barn and haul in some wood to keep the studio warm.  So get your butt into gear Lenny - get off this dang computer and get your chores done - cheers, eh!

No comments:

Post a Comment