Tuesday, December 18, 2012

FOOTPRINTS IN THE SNOW

          The fire is crackling in the wood stove, the wind is moaning outside the door and the snow flakes are fluttering uncontrollably against the window pane but as I look towards the top of Green Mountain that is anything but green at the moment, I'm feeling very warm, cozy and relaxed in the studio - think I'll pop the cap off a cold bottle of Moosehead Pale Ale - looking forward to one after not feeling so well.  Mmm - sure tastes good!  Now to get on with the Blog; let my mind drift with the drifting snow and lift with the lifting wind     and let my finger tips dance away on the keyboard to the melody that's beginning to form within my mind.
          The old house we bought, which is 100 years old plus, one expects to hear bumps, creaks and groans in the night when everything is quiet and still.  Now, I've been spooked more than once or twice from what I've heard and saw within the walls of this old house and wouldn't be the least bit surprised if a ghost or two were on the loose and having a great old time scaring the hell out of me.  However, as much as I've felt the wee hairs on the back of my neck stand to attention and pretty much all the rest of my bodily hair snap to attention like a regiment of soldiers as wekk, if there are indeed a ghost or two dwelling in this old house, I don't feel like they are evil or dangerous.  I've never heard tell of ghosts leaving any footprints and it's not very likely the prints I saw in the snow outside belonged to a ghost but most definitely, something or someone came creeping around our house and most likely in the wee hours of the night, when everything is quiet and still.  I doubt that the footprints were made by a ghost because I can't imagine they would weigh much more than a breath of air and these footprints broke through the icy crust of snow, 4" deep - anyone getting spooked yet?
          Now, I sometimes take a stroll around the house to see if the clear plastic, vapor barrier, which we use for banking up the snow has peeled off from the wind, but these, even though the footprint size was basically the same as mine, were not my prints.  I wouldn't have stopped and looked through the living room window nor the dining room window for a period of time.  I can see where the footprints halted at one doorway and it's hard to tell at the other two doors because the entrance ways have been pretty much cleared of ice and snow.  And, come to think of it, my studio door was ajar, when after being sick for a few days, I went there to start a fire in the wood stove.  Nothing appears to be taken, so maybe it was a ghost wearing big old gumboots that came creeping and a peeping around the house.
          Living out in the boonies, where our closest neighbour lives about a 1/4 of a mile away and calling 911 for any immediate action is out of the question, I've decided to be a little more careful and keep my eye out for the Dark Stalker wearing size 8 gumboots or larger. I can't be too careful because I'm an old man with 2 girls and a wife to watch out for.  I'll have to be a little more wary when I hear Luki barking during the night; if only he didn't bark at every little noise in the dark.  Since I have a few people living nearby who read this Blog, I'd like you all, whenever you go by, to keep an eye open for any strangers or maybe you know that's doing something they shouldn't be doing on our property, please let me know and I'll confront them - thanks - cheers, eh!

No comments:

Post a Comment