Tuesday, March 29, 2011

THE MERMAID AND THE BOATMAN - Part 3

WIN a $25.00 VISA Card by guessing the name of the mermaid.  Only people subscribing to my Newsletter or "followers" are allowed to enter.  Only one guess per person allowed.   Email your guess to dreaminsailorman@hotmail.com  Should there be more than one correct answer, the winner's names  will be put into a hat and the first name drawn is the winner.  Family members are allowed to guess a name too but they are not elegible to win the prize - sorry. 

The days seemed to be fuller, now that the sailorman had a woman, at least half a woman in his life.  She even helped out during a storm when the anchor began dragging; she dove down and reset it in a more secure location.  Sometimes, when they knew no other boats were around, she would come aboard the sailboat and lay on the roof of the cabin under the main boom.  Because of her long tail and the distinct aroma of fish, it took a little time for her to gain Misty’s confidence.  She enjoyed petting the friendly little dog but she had not yet touched the man.  She wanted to and sensed that he felt the same, but held back because she was afraid their time together might not be very long.
The boatman (as she affectionately called him) and the mermaid hadn’t discussed his attempting to guess her name but with winter storms approaching before too long, it would soon be time for him to sail south.  However, that wasn’t really a problem, because as long as the boat was anchored in a secluded area, away from prying eyes, she could still be with him as much as it was possible under the circumstances. 
One afternoon, the sailorman, which was somewhat of a daily routine, dove off the sailboat into the chilly water.  The mermaid was there to greet him.  Usually they just chased and splashed one another, much to Misty’s dismay having been left out.  However, this time, instead of keeping his distance, the sailorman reached for her hands and drew her close.  She smiled as he embraced her and said, “I feel our first kiss will be more natural if we are in the water.”  The kiss was just as they both imagined, soft and loving.
That evening under the stars and full moon, the sailorman and the mermaid cuddled on the deck for the first time.  They both spoke at once and laughed.  He was about to speak again, but she pressed her finger against his lips saying, “No.  Me first.”
Brushing a lock of hair away from the sailorman’s eyes, the mermaid softly said,  “Did you know that I had my eye on you right from the first time you heaved the anchor into the bay?  I watched you walking Misty along the seaside, when you went fishing by the rocks and as you were lying on the deck.  I could tell you had a good heart; that you were the one I'd allow to guess my name.  I'd met other sailors over the years but they weren’t satisfied with me as a woman, only thought about the riches of capturing someone as unique as I; they were not my special boatman.  You're not concerned about money or the fact that I am somewhat of a freak, you only care for my well-being.  I know you have to leave here very soon and I want to go with you, not as a mermaid but as your woman.  I've been thinking, since three seems to be something of a magical number to my tragic predicament, I want you to try guessing my name over the next three days.”
The sailorman looked at her, sadness filling his eyes.  “There are millions of names, the chances of my choosing the right one would be an utter miracle.  I've been racking my brains for sometime now trying to come up with a good name.  The only oneI know it isn’t, is Priscilla.  I can't take the chance of guessing your name and losing you forever.  I'd sooner be with you as you are now, part fish, than not at all.  Please don’t ask me to guess your name.”
Bathed in moonlight, the mermaid and the boatman gently touched each other; a lingering kiss followed by another and another expressing their love.  Entwined in each other’s arms, they slept through the night.
In the morning, just before the sailorman took Misty ashore, the mermaid stressed, “Boatman, I want you to think of a name today and tell me this evening.  What will it hurt?  You have three guesses; the first two names you select, if you're wrong, will change nothing; we'll still be together.  Promise me you'll give it some thought anyway.”
Before climbing into the dinghy, the sailorman took her into his arms, kissed her cheek lightly and whispered in her ear, “I promise, I'll give it some thought.”
While walking on the island, the little dog at his heels unconcerned with his predicament, the sailorman arrived at a place he particularly liked.  High on a cliff, the ocean waves crashing far below, off in the distance he could see the sailboat and the white foamy swirls around the rocks where he first met the mermaid.  He never expected to find love here, but sometimes when a person least expects it; love arrives.  And once in love, there are choices to be made, some times very tough decisions, like the one he was facing now.  Should I let her go, be with her friends the dolphins and other sea creatures, perhaps meet another boatman who would willingly guess her name or should I take the plunge, he thought?
The sailorman sat down on a mossy rock and closed his eyes. He could hear the waves below, the birds in the forest and Misty gnawing on a small stick.  Attempting to erase all emotional content, remembering what she had told him about the spell cast upon her, he was thinking any sorcerer worth his salt would give clues.  Why a mermaid; why hadn't he changed her into a rat or a toad and why the possibility of becoming a whole woman again?  There had to be clues!  Perhaps the name pertains to the sea, which seems logical he thought.  Names like Pearl and Coral came to mind but they seemed a little too obvious.
That night, under a starry sky, the sea glittering like diamonds, the mermaid and the boatman held each other.  They could feel the boat being slightly rocked by the waves heading towards the shore, each one bringing them closer to decision time.  He'd been putting off guessing her name, hoping she'd let it pass, but he knew this was just wishful thinking on his part.  Gazing into her eyes, the extraordinary oversized spectacles casting shadows on her cheeks, feeling the warmth of her body next to his, she softly said, “The time has come.  I know you've been thinking very hard about my name today.  I hope you came up with a good one.”

No comments:

Post a Comment