Wednesday, March 30, 2011

THE MERMAID AND THE BOATMAN - Part 4

WIN a $25.00 VISA Card by guessing the name of the mermaid.  Only people subscribing to my Newsletter or "followers" are allowed to enter.  Only one guess per person allowed.   Email your guess to dreaminsailorman@hotmail.com  Should there be more than one correct answer, the winner's names  will be put into a hat and the first name drawn is the winner.  Family members are allowed to guess a name too but they are not elegible to win the prize - sorry. 

 Feeling somewhat downcast the sailorman murmered, “I don't have any real good ideas regarding the name the magician gave you; there are too many choices."  “I have no idea how many times that devilish sorcerer's rhyme has gone through my head, thinking somewhere in his words, he's disguised a clue.  But for the life of me, I couldn't find a hint of any real meaning.  And since he turned you into a mermaid, I've been considering names pertaining to the sea. Also, since I thought mermaids were mythical sea creatures, until I met you, I've considered some of the names they were called.  I've come up with several names but I am reluctant to use any of them - none of them really stand out to me.  And if I am wrong; what then?  I really don't want to lose you.”
Observing the worried and concerned expression on the sailorman’s face, the mermaid squeezed his hand and replied confidentally, “You are my boatman; the boatman I was supposed to meet at the end of my journey.  I have faith in you and am confiident you'll come up with the correct name.  Don't worry, please tell me the name sweet boatman; what's the name you've chosen.”
The sailorman sighed deeply, “When we're lying on the deck like this evening, a slight breeze blowing across our bodies, I sometimes feel your long hair flowing lightly across my face.  It reminds me of a crashing wave hurled against the rocks, the fine, gentle spray feeling much like your hair.  The name I have chosen is…is…I really don't want to say it.”
Taking both the sailorman’s hands in hers, she shut her eyes and smiled, “Come on boatman; don't be afraid; tell me the name you've chosen.”
Squeezing her hands tightly he quietly replied, “Spray.” 
Nothing out of the ordinary occurred, except the two large red gems on the mermaid’s glasses appeared to glow for a moment; perhaps a trick of the eye or the play of moonlight caused by the boat’s motion upon the constantly moving undulating sea.  Looking downwards, he could still see the mermaid's iridescent scales shining in the moon glow; the fish tail, still a prominent part of her body.  A single tear trickled out of the corner of his eye and slowly flowed down his cheek.
The mermaid, noticing the silent tear, evidence of his love for her, kissed him on the forehead and then licked the tear away with the tip of her tongue.
The next morning, at the crack of dawn, the sun not yet peering over the evergrees growing on the island, the sailorman stood on the deck and looked out towards the rocks.  He couldn't see the mermaid but knew she was near; such was their special bond.  Although he already knew which name he would guess when evening arrived, he still needed to take Misty to the island and think some more about his choice because he realized, if this was not her name, only one last chance remained.  It didn’t matter that they were together for a very short time; he felt deep within his core they had been purposely drawn together, seemingly destined for each other.  He couldn’t visualize the mermaid not being an integral part of his life; she was as necessary as the air he breathed.
As the sailorman slowly rowed to the island, he kept scanning the sea’s surface searching for the beautiful mermaid’s head to appear, but all he could see was the occasional small whitecap sparkling in the morning sun.  Nosing the dinghy towards the usual spot, not waiting for it to stop, Misty easily leapt to the shore and immediately began investigating the fresh scents.  After tying the boat to the arbutus tree, he stood for a moment and took one last look out to sea before disappearing into the dense forest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment